Chapter 8

"See you next week," Liam called over his shoulder.
He and Jane left the library and headed to the cafe.
"So," Liam said. "How did you like it?"
"It was nice to be around so many other writers. And they care about the craft more than feelings. Within reason."
Liam nodded. "That's for sure. Megan can be a little harsh, but she wants everyone to do their best."
"Makes sense," Jane said, turning towards the door.
Lia, stepped forward and held it open for her.
"Thanks," said Jane.
Liam smiled in return. The cafe was crowded today. They had to speak loud in order to hear each other over the din of the room.
"What do you want?" Liam asked.
"Oh, you don't have to do that!"
Liam smiled again. "My treat."
"Well," Jane said, heart fluttering. "An iced passion fruit tea."
"Got it," he said with a shirt salute.
Then he weaved through the crowd to the counter. Jane's face was hot and she started to sweat. Liam came back with their drinks and a paper bag. He handed her the tea. The condensation on the cup from the heat wet her hand, but it felt good. She pressed the cup to her face.
"Let's go outside," he suggested.
Jane nodded and they made their way to the door. Once they were outside, Liam looked around. He pointed to a picnic table in a nearby park.
"Let's sit over there."
Jane followed. When they sat down, he opened the bag and handed her a parfait.
"Oh," said Jane, "thank you."
She took it from him and unwrapped the spoon. Liam pulled out a second parfait for himself and followed suit. Jane watched the squirrels running around the park as she ate. Looking over at Liam, she could hardly believe she had actually gone to the group and now she was out with Liam again. He caught her staring. She blushed.
"Are you going to come next week?" He asked.
Jane swallowed. "I plan to."
"Good," he said with a smile. "Maybe you'll share your writing next time."
"Maybe," Jane murmured.
"It's not so bad." He put a hand over hers. "I'm sure you'll do great."
Now Jane's heart was pounding and her cheeks were warm. All she could do was give a small smile and nod.