"Yes?"

He comes to stand in front of her and smiles down at her. "There's still time for the caravan to leave. I'll go to the bazar and get us some other things of necessity. The way is long, it's better to have everything we need."

She nods at him.

"Do you need anything?" he inquires.

She thinks for a moment, then says, "Get us some dates."

His smile stretches but like her, he subtly bites it back. "Noted." He strokes her cheeks and she subconsciously leans into his touch, gazing up at him. "Don't mingle with anyone while I'm away, azizi," he advices. "If someone comes to you or ask something, tell them we're from Najaf. My name is Jabir and I'm a merchant. We're traveling to Mashhad to expand our trade. And you're my wife, Salamah."

Noura listens to his story carefully, lifting a curious eyebrow. "Why the lies?"

"If we're followed, we'll need to lose the tracks," he suggests. "Anyone from the palace will know us, but an outsiders will need to confirm our identities. Now the Khalifa or the vizier won't send anyone to harm us, but with riots and rebels, there are enemies we need to be wary of. The lies will mislead them."

She nods in understanding. "Be back soon."

"I will." He leans down to kiss her forehead. "Fi amanillah."

"You too."

Adam goes to mount his horse. It trots away from the cottage. He snaps the reins and like a gush of wind is out of her sight as the horse gallops away from her.

Noura gets inside the cottage once he's gone. She begins to pack their things. They need to be ready before the caravan leaves. But it isn't long that she hears loud banging at the door. It's urgent and rapid, and it alarms her. She quickly reaches for her dagger and unsheaths it, tipping towards the door.

"Is someone inside? I need help please!" A woman's voice calls, followed by more knocking.

With her dagger still clutched behind her, she goes to receive the visitor and opens the door halfway, finding a woman about her own age in a disheveled state at the threshold with tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Sayidati," she cries. "My husband, someone attacked him in the woods. I came looking for help. There wasn't a place close by besides yours. Please, help me."

Her grip on her dagger tightens as her eyes searches behind the lady only to find she's alone.

"Sayidati," she begs again, "he's wounded. I need to get him to an infirmary. If there's a man with you who could help us, or if you could please come with me. We don't have a horse to carry him."

Noura hesitates, the idea of going anywhere with this stranger unsettling her. She cannot trust her, but if the woman is telling the truth, she doesn't want to leave an injured man to death either.

"For God's sake, sayidati, it's a matter of life."

Against the tears of the woman, she finds her heart softening.

"Alright," Noura agrees to help, sheathing her dagger and stepping outside. "My husband isn't home, but he'll be back anytime now and will look for me," she informs her meaningfully. "We better hurry."

The woman nods briskly and squeezes her hand in gratitude. "Thank you. God bless you."

Noura takes her horse and mounts it and she mounts behind her.

"This way, sayidati." She guides her and the horse goes galloping into the woods.

When the trees turn thick and the village is left far away, she hears the sounds of hooves behind them. Someone is after them, and they're more than one in number. Her doubt is confirmed when she hears the neigh of a horse, followed by multiple more. Her heart slams against her breastbone in apprehension.