T W O

We stood there at ease around the scratched wooden desk settled in the darkened room as a complete unit. Alpha Chaos.

I took my position in the middle with Azrael on my right and Miller on my left. Beside Azrael stood Donte, and to the other side of Miller was Ricardo. We made quite the presentation if I said so myself.

The hawk-eyed man behind the desk paced back and forth, hands placed behind his back. He was at least twenty years my senior, but was built like an ox with the biggest set of guns in the QZ. His army green fatigues swished softly with the movement before he paused, turning his icy gray eyes to my green ones. "Pierce, I summoned your team for a mission of utmost importance. I commend you for the punctuality the squad has shown."

"Just doing our duty, sir," I assured, giving Ward a brief nod. "What do you have for us?"

He leaned forward, his large hands pressing against the dingy desktop. "We have a helo arriving later today with important cargo. Medicine, food, everything we need to survive. You will secure the LZ and make sure we get what's coming to us."

"With all due respect, that's a fucking death sentence, sir. Every revenant in the damn city will come to investigate the noise and meet us at the landing zone," Azrael pointed out, crossing his arms against his chest.

Ward sent a sidelong glance at Azrael and silenced him. Switching his gaze to me, he tilted his head. "As I was saying, this mission is highly dangerous, but it needs to be done. Alpha Chaos is the best squad we have, and the most capable of tackling this. The fate of this QZ rests on the success of this drop."

Azreal was right. Accepting this mission guaranteed death just like eating a gun would, but I didn't have a choice. The overbearing graveness in the lines of Ward's face told more about the direness of the situation than his words did.

If Ward thought we could do it, then we could do it.

"When do we leave, sir?" I questioned as I clasped my hands in front of my thighs.

"ASAP. The helo is expected in two and a half hours," he replied, looking over at each of us. He appeared relieved, his crow's feet less noticeable around the corners of his eyes. "Cal already has your gear ready at the gate, and silencers too. Just stop by and see Tess for medkits, and I believe she wanted to speak to you before you leave. But make it quick."

"Yessir." I jerked my chin at my squad, pivoting to face the door. "Let's roll, boys."

"What's the plan?" Donte sidled up beside me, his dark brown skin glistening in the heat.

I chewed my lip as we walked from Ward's office situated in an abandoned home and into the light. For it to be early, it was pretty damn hot. I swiped the sweat on my brow and glanced at Donte. "Y'all go ahead and get our stuff at the gate. I'll see Tess and meet back with y'all."

"Don't stay too long, D," Ricardo teased, his teeth flashing in a grin as he walked past me whistling some catchy Spanish tune. "We all know it's hard to get Tess stopped once she's started."

"I won't. Trust me," I responded with a light laugh, watching them walk away for a moment.

My squad was quite diverse, with an Israeli, a Mexican, an African American, and a German. Myself being half Latina only added to the pile. I liked it though. It made us different, unique. Colorful almost.

The makeshift hospital lay situated near the garage holding the only two Hummers we owned. Most didn't think an abandoned auto repair shop would make a good hospital, but looking at it now proved those doubters wrong.

Half of me was glad this part of the QZ was off limits to the public. The last thing I wanted was to run into one of the poor souls in need of assistance. Despite how intimidating I looked, I helped others. There once was a day I had been in their shoes, and someone helped me. How could I not return the kindness?

The resounding barks of our search dogs met my ears as I strode across the half muddied road. Keeping out of the ruts, I glanced up the worn path to see my team waiting at the gate. I was the one lagging this time, but it was something I had to do.

Jogging the rest of the way across, I opened the dirt-smeared glass door and stepped inside. The sharp, overly clean scent of the sanitized room assaulted my senses and I coughed into my elbow. No matter how many times I stepped foot in here, I was never prepared for the wave of pungent cleaners. I didn't know how the medics, surgeons, and other crew members could tolerate this stuff. It was giving me a headache already.

Heels tapped on the hardwood floor and I swiped at my smarting eyes to see the familiar white coat. "Here to get me out of my misery, Tess?"

"Maybe." She laughed, her dark brown braids shifting at the movement. Her smile looked that much brighter set in her mocha skin, and her chocolate-colored eyes sparkled with merriment as she gestured at me to follow.

The clomp of my boots hitting the floor overpowered the softer thumps of her shoes and it filled the hall like the uneven gait of a horse.

"What's so important even Ward told me to stop here before leaving?" I questioned, my tone mostly playful as we turned to the left and entered Tess' study room.

She didn't flip the lights on, instead walking me to the center of the room where a lamp illuminated a bunch of papers laying on a squatty table. Her thin finger tapped on one of the papers, and she moved for me to step closer. "This is going to be in that chopper, and it's something I need you to carry personally."

Letting my attention fall to the paper beneath her fingertip, I studied it for a moment. A drawing of what appeared to be a small metal case was carefully doodled onto the paper and I failed to see the importance of this object. "And I have to oversee this tin can for what reason?"

"This tin can holds my orders from the Stars. Ward thinks it's just medical documents," she answered, her tone low to keep her words from being overheard.

Stars.

A throng of mixed emotions rose in my throat. Everyone who wasn't a revenant knew who the Stars were. Their insignia was spray painted in every QZ they could infiltrate. And let's not forget their motto: When it's dark, look for Stars.

Besides trying to overthrow what little form of authority the QZs held, they were searching for a cure. That alone was the only reason I was helping Tess work with them. Our positions in the EGL gave us a prime opportunity to gain information on the revenants, their behavior, their drives. Whatever we could find out.

Only, if Ward got wind of us dealing with Stars, he would throw us out to be torn apart by the very creatures we study.

I stared down at the drawing once more, chewing the corner of my lip. This was just as important, if not more important, than the mission I was going on. It fueled my desire for success more than the survival of the QZ.

I owed it to Jonathan. Nothing would change that.

"I'll take care of it, Tess," I affirmed, lifting my head to look into her face.

A small smile worked over her plump lips, and the gratitude glowed in her eyes despite the dimness. "Thank you, Daytona. The Stars will know you're the one to praise."

I could care less what the Stars thought of me. The only thing I wanted was a cure and, as far as I knew, they were the only ones actively searching for one.

"And Daytona."

I halted in my walk out the door, looking over my shoulder at her. "Yeah?"

"Be extra careful out there." She crossed her arms across her chest and leaned back on the table, the lamp behind her silhouetting her frame. "The revenant mating season is beginning. Males will be on the hunt."

I nodded before making my way outside of this place. This mission would be my deadliest yet, and it would take one hell of a miracle for anyone to make it out alive, much less with the supplies.

Great. Male revenants were the most powerful, and they evolved at such a high rate the females appeared very benign in comparison. Throngs of them were the last thing I needed, but yet they would be an issue.

I drew in a breath before letting it out in a sigh. The stakes were even higher than my crew realized, but the failure rate far exceeded that. Things didn't look so good, but I would have to make it work. There was no room for defeat, regardless of how bleak it looked.

I would just have to pray the odds would be in our favor, and hope God was still in the prayer answering business.