𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑

As she stepped into the cafe, Jennie's body tensed up more. Suddenly, she was afraid she was going to fuck this up and embarrass herself for an eternity. Thoughts and emotions swirled inside her mind like a hurricane the more she thought about what she had gotten herself into.

She closed her eyes for a solemn moment and looked back up. Jennie had agreed to this date, so there was no one else she could blame for her trouble if she was to fall down the rabbit hole.

After all, the cafe seemed to have a happy and joyful atmosphere. There were smiles on people's faces, so what did she have to lose?

Jennie walked forward enough so that she could see the menu displayed on a monitor screen. Frozen lemonade, iced coffee topped with whipped cream, and her absolute favourite; Sprite soda and mint leaves, topped with scoops of lime sherbet.

She was quickly ordered her drink and hung around, scanning the cafe. There were couples, families, and also individuals enjoying their day. A smile lit up on Jennie's face, but quickly washed away when she saw a man sitting at a square table in the corner, watching his phone.

She quickly turned her head to the side, hoping he didn't notice her looking at him.

Too late.

Jennie decided to make a run for it. The only problem; she'd have to walk past him to leave the cafe. She speed-walked across the cafe, but halted when a familiar voice called out, "Oh hey Jennie, long time no see."

"Long time no see, my ass" Jennie muttered under her breath. Jungkook, on the other hand, was completely oblivious to the woman's annoyed tone.

"Have a seat. How have you been?"

"Look, Jungkook, I really don't have time for this. I just came here for a random date, I have no interest in-"

"Oh, you're here for a date too? Damn, so am I! This girl... I think her name is Soojin, yeah Soojin... she set me up on date with her best friend" Jungkook said with a shrug.

Jennie took time to process the information, before whispering, "Are... are you saying that we're... supposed to be on a... date together?"

"What? No no, it can't be!" Jungkook said with a chuckle. It made Jennie feel slightly better as she breathed a sigh of relief.

A sudden ding went off, as she hurriedly brought out her phone. It was Soojin, and she had sent a text.

I see you two talking to each other! Hope you're getting along! Soojin wrote.

There was no expression found on Jennie's face. She seemed to be in utter shock.

"J-Jungkook..." she stuttered. God, how she hated to say his name. That too she had stuttered it out!

"Jungkook... I think you're wrong."

"Wha- as in?"

"As in... as in that Soojin set both of us on a date together. She just texted me."

"Oh uhm..."

"Yeah, I'm just gonna leave. I ordered a drink, but if they call out my name, just take it. Goodbye." Jennie left hastily, sprinting out off the cafe, leaving Jungkook in confusion and shock.

It was complete déjà vu.

Jennie ran all the way to her car and saw Soojin stepping out of her vehicle with a worried look. 

"Jennie? What happened? Is everything ok?"

"No time explain now, meet me at my place."

Jennie got into her car and slammed the door shut, hitting the gas pedal. The vehicle sped forward, driving onto the street.

"Siri, play 'You Broke Me First' by Tate McRae." Jennie commanded to the voice assistant on her phone.

"Now playing" a mechanical voice spoke. A sad melody filled the the vehicle, followed by a girl's voice. After a few verses, Jennie found herself singing along to the tune.

Now suddenly you're asking for it back.

Could you tell me where'd you get the nerve?

Yeah, you could say you miss all that we had, but I don't really care how bad it was.

"When you broke me first" Jennie sang, finishing the lyrics.

"Yeah he really does make up shit, acting like we never broke up" the female chuckled to herself, but in a sad manner.

When the song finished playing, she leaned over to put it on a loop. The started all over again, making Jennie's surroundings emit broken-hearted vibes.

As if on cue, the skies had turned cloudy and grey, shooing away the brightness and heat of the sun. Raindrops started falling from above, hitting everything below, making a pitter patter sound.

A single tear ran down Jennie's soft cheeks, falling off her chin and splashing on her jeans. By now the windows of the car had hundreds of raindrops on them, big and small. The woman hadn't noticed that she'd never eaten or drank anything after her breakfast, until her stomach made a low grumbling sound.

She gave out a long sigh, before making the last right turn to the direction of her house. After parking it, she stayed inside of her car while she waited for Soojin to reach her apartment. 

There was a soft knock of the car window, startling Jennie. It was Soojin, standing there with a worried expression. Jennie got out of the car and walked along with Soojin.

"Don't worry Jennie, just tell me everything when we get inside" Soojin whispered softly, holding onto Jennie's arm.

By the time the pair reached her condo, the rain had turning into drizzles, water spraying onto everything in its way.

"Come on. Let's go sit down."

Jennie obeyed and sat on her sofa. "Now tell me babe, what exactly happened?" Soojin questioned, listening attentively.

"It's just that... you know the guy I was supposed to have the date with? He's... he's my ex."

"Oh my god!"

"Don't worry it's fi-"

"I'm so fucking sorry! I should known that before, and I should have asked you before I selected him. Oh god, I fucked up badly" Soojin wailed, covering her face with her hands.

"No, it's ok. I was just kinda shocked to see him, but no hard feelings" Jennie soothed her friend with a smile.

"Oh, it looks like it's drizzling now, you should get home before it gets dark."

Soojin nodded and walked to the door. "Hey Jennie," she spoke before leaving, "thank you for forgiving me."

She closed the door and left in silence.

Jennie didn't have the appetite to eat anything, or to do anything else. 

Maybe I'll rest for a little, that'll help clear my mind. Jennie thought, heading to the bedroom. She quickly changed into some warm clothes and settled into the bed, wrapping a blanket around herself. Her eyelids fluttered a little, before closing fully, signalling that the woman had drifted off to sleep.