I shivered at the thought of getting sick again. I had come to the conclusion I would rather be in a million car crashes than ever have the flu again. Of course, Mina had been there when I expressed this idea. She just laughed at me and said many humans actually get sick at least once a year, and I would probably join them.

At least there was a silver lining in all of this, Theo said I would no longer be isolated to just the Alpha Wing. Since he now knew — or so he thought — why I had come back (to find my Ma), he agreed I would not need to be cast away from his pack. In his own words, he said a Borderlander could be of no real threat to his pack.

There was a caveat to my integration back into the world; if the pack found out that I was his mate, he would more than likely have to start the mating process. It had been explained to me before that it was customary in Theo's pack for the Alpha's mate to be quickly introduced into the pack once she was found, meaning the mating process would have to begin shortly after.

The thought of Theo marking and mating me scared me right out of my mind. I knew what the implications would mean — it would nearly be impossible to leave the Outside if I had Theo's mark on my neck. I had to prolong it for the next couple of months. Otherwise, I would be doomed.

No, the Borderlands would be doomed.

Sighing, I decided to make my way to Theo's office. I had been told how to get there. Exit the Alpha wing, turn right, then go up the flight of stairs. Next, stop at the third door, knock, and then wait to be let into the room. From there, it should be obvious which door led to Theo's office, but it was the center door, nonetheless.

I followed these directions, chanting them in my mind over and over. Despite this, I still got lost multiple times. Max was still lurking behind me, but he did not seem to want to help with directions. Instead, he would chuckle when I would wander off the wrong way. Eventually, I managed to make it to the third door. I did not knock, though.

Walking through the entrance, I knew Theo's office was the center door, so I did not give a second glance at my surroundings. Struggling a bit, I eventually was able to pry open the heavy door to Theo's office.

Theo's office was huge. Two windows adorned the far wall, but the light threatening to peak out was trapped behind black-out curtains. A giant oak desk was neatly centered between the two windows. A family tree that branched in a million different directions hung above the desk. There were two evergreen velvet chairs in front of the desk.

Sitting in the large armchair was Theo, his gaze cast down on some paperwork that was spread all over the surface of his desk. Paper was everywhere. There were piles of papers lining the room. Slowly, Theo looked up.

"What brings you in?" He asked, but his hand continued to write with the ball-point pen in his grasp. "I am quite busy."

Making my way to one of the velvet chairs, I took a seat. I let out a sigh of relief as, even though I had been recovering from the flu, I still felt a little fatigued.

"I'm ready to start looking for my Ma," I expressed, folding my hands in my lap. Theo opened his mouth only to close it a second later.

He then began. "I cannot—"

"—but, we had a deal!" I exclaimed, ready to jump right out of my chair.

"Yes, Sage. I am aware," he almost chided. I scoffed at him. "But, as I said, I am quite busy. If I recall, we did not have a time limit to find your mother."

My heart dropped at his words. He was going to use this as a loophole to not help me. I was not going to find my Ma, and I was going to disappoint Pa as a result.