Whether I Win Or Whether I Lose

Mulai dari awal

“Hey are you okay kid?” Dad asked as I limped over

“Oh yeah, yeah I’m all good” I nodded a little breathlessly “Just might uh- might stay away from the kicks”

“Sounds like a plan” Demetri nodded

“Hey” Eli grabbed my wrist before I walked away too quickly “I-if- if you do something, like that stupid dislocating shoulder move I swear-”

“Calma” I giggled, running a hand through Eli’s hair “I won’t”

I might be crazy, but that psycho storm has passed me. The next round started, and I knew Tory would be out for blood even more. If she didn’t get that first point then it would bother her. Tory gritted her teeth and threw herself at me, I was actually struggling to keep up with her but, oh what’s that thing Eli said- finally a worthy opponent. Tory was good, in fact, she was perfect, but so was I. Unfortunately when your original training was to use your legs first, you have a habit of doing that naturally, so when you go to kick but stopped yourself. Tory got her first hit to my gut. 

Okay, one one, we’re even again. The match started up again, my knee started to ache a little more at a time, but I pushed through it. God my knee is really starting to kill me, this is not good. I wasn’t focused, and Tory got another decent hit on me, which nearly knocked the wind out of me. My eyes widened, and I pushed my hand against my chest to try and clear my airway. Tory set herself up again but the ref called a time our for someone and then told me to go to my sensei’s. I turned and limped over as quickly as I could. Dad instantly handed me my inhaler and I took in the assisted air.

“Kid I’m taking you out” Dad sighed

“What- no” I shook my head more than I should’ve because my ears were ringing

“Harley come on-”

“Harley it’s okay” Eli assured me “You did amazing, I don’t want you to get seriously hurt”

“Tory can’t pull anything else over on me” I pointed back at her for emphasis “Okay? I don’t care if I win or not, I don’t care if I fall down flat…… You’re not taking me out, I’m gonna finish whether I win or whether I lose”

Everyone looked at each other, they all looked like they were begging someone else to take me out because they didn’t want to. I sighed, giving everyone a nod before heading back out onto the mat. If I’m honest, I knew everybody was right, Tory was one more point away from beating me, my body was falling apart and I should’ve taken myself out. But no, no that’s not going to happen. I’ve come too far, and I enjoy this too much for it to end here. 

I took a deep breath, going through a few movements to center myself, before taking my stance. The ref waved his hand, and we started again. I struck first, nearly getting Tory in the side, but she stepped away and just nearly clipped me in the back, luckily I did a roll forwards and she missed me. We swung back and forth at each other, until finally, finally! I hit her in the side, and we were tied again. 

Okay, that’s good, one more point, then we can all go home. One more point…. And I’m just like dad and Mr. Larusso, a two time All Valley champ, just like dad. I guess people were always right, I am just like my old man. We started one more time, Tory was on fire, I had zero reaction time, it was life she was downed nitrous or something before the match. We kept on landing hits, actually ended up rolling onto the ground, just like Robby and Eli had been, but everything was blocked. Over and over ‘block, no point’ I was pretty sure I was gonna be hearing that in my sleep until-

“Gah!”

“Warning! Elbow to the face, go to your sensei’s”

I brought my hand up to my face as Tory’s elbow hit me in the eye. What the actual fuck!? That’s gotta be the most insane dirty low play ever! I stared over at her, she looked in shock. Right, because that definitely wasn’t on purpose. And all she got was a warning, when it honestly should’ve been a point deduction.

“Hey, are you alright?” Mr. Larusso asked instantly

“Yeah” I nodded stiffly “She got me good, but I can still fight”

Everyone sighed, I couldn’t help but smile. I’ve been getting punched in the face since I was a little kid, this is cake.

“When this is over, you’re grounded for a month” Dad vowed, making everyone laugh “So you can heal”

“I’ll second that” Demetri piped up

I leaned down, giving dad a hug before heading back out onto the mat. Okay, this is gone on far too long, let’s just finish this off and go home. Honestly, at that point I might just stand there and let her hit me so I don’t actually end up in the hospital. I stood in the center, this time I was waiting for Tory to come back. Boy did Kreese and Silver look pissed. I couldn’t see properly, my knee felt like it was about to shatter and my lungs felt like sandpaper bags. Woo hoo!

“Surprised you’re still standing” Tory nodded, bouncing around on her feet

“You and me both” I nodded

Tory stopped, and looked at me confused. I sighed, this is it, the high road of all high roads. Revenge is for those who wanna spend the rest of their lives dealing with a problem from their high school years. Reconciliation, is for those who just wanna get it over with and move on with their lives. I stuck my hand out, firm and without hesitation. Tory looked at me like I was mental, and I was, but that’s besides the point. Tory took a step forward, reached her hand out, and shook mine. I dunno if the silence was from my pounding headache or if everyone had indeed gone dead silent, but for one moment between us, there was nothing. 

We pulled away from each other with a nod of respect, and set our stances up for the last match. With the wave of the ref's hands, the final round had begun. It took sixteen hits to decide the girl’s All Valley champ, less than thirty seconds, that’s kinda funny huh? Less than thirty seconds seems to decide my entire future, and the future of a lot of others. The kick was even less than that, less than one second. I told myself I wouldn’t, and true to my nature, I did. It always has to go down with a kick.

“Point! Winner!”

I didn’t even feel my hand in the air until my arm started to ache a little bit. Then again, everything was aching. Everybody was on the mat in seconds, I looked beside me as Cobra Kai stood by, all in shock, all except one. When did Robby come back?

“What a match!” the announcer walked out, holding two trophies “Give it up for your two time All Valley winner, and first only female champion! Harley Lawrence!”

I smiled, taking the trophy and hoisting it into the air. Everyone was still crowding around me, but I was distracted by- I don’t even know what, I was looking at Tory. I quickly ran over her, grabbing her by her arm and pulling her back to the center of the mat. Her eyes were wide and confused, and almost guilty looking.

“I can’t be the overall best dojo stupid” I chuckled

Tory’s eyes widened as the announcer stated, that yes in fact, Cobra Kai had won overall best dojo. Tory took the trophy in her hands, and the smile on her face was priceless. The smile on everyone’s faces was priceless. I smiled, taking a step back until I backed myself up into someone’s arms.

“You did amazing baby” Eli grinned

I spun around in his arms, leaning up and pulling him in for a kiss. Eli wrapped his arms around my waist, lifting me up so I could wrap my legs around his waist and so I didn’t have to walk. Everyone else came over and we all stood together in a massive group hug, well, those of us that were still there anyway. But it was perfect, I had won, and I had won completely for myself. And I had enjoyed it! Like I said, everything is falling into place.

-'|'-'|'-'|'-