Holding Up

“I can hear your thoughts, and I promise this-… isn’t going to be the last time I blindfold you but still” Hawk was giving me a piggyback ride to… somewhere.

I giggled softly, resting my head on his shoulder. We went into a rather loud place, it kinda smells like a dentist's office. Hawk put me down and removed the blindfold, we were in the hospital. I looked up at him with a strange, somewhat scared look.

“Miguel’s allowed visitors now, I figured I’d surprise you”

I smiled brightly, jumping up and wrapping my arms around his neck. Hawk wrapped his arms around me, holding me off the ground before setting me back down as went off to go find Miguel.

After a few minutes of searching we finally reached his room

“El serpiente” Hawk grinned as we rounded the corner, but his grin soon fell

Sam was in the room with Miguel. Her eyes widened when she saw us, a weary look on her face.

“I’m gonna go” she mumbled

“Okay, yeah” Miguel nodded

Sam slowly walked over. I pulled away from Hawk to give Sam a quick hug, which she returned, it was nice to get a hug from her. Hawk kept a hand on my shoulder as I did, but I didn’t mind. When Sam pulled away she gave me a soft smile, which I returned.

“You got some nerve showing coming here, after what your boyfriend did to him” Hawk muttered

“I don’t care what you think. I just wanna help” Sam stood her ground

“Pretty sure you’ve done enough princess” Hawk scoffed

I elbowed him in the ribs, making him look down at me annoyed. Sam gave me a nod before walking away. I smiled softly as we walked over to Miguel

“Hey bro. What’s up man, you good?” Hawk smiled, shaking hands in the teenage boy way “I like the spot”

Miguel laughed weakly at that. I smiled, standing close to Hawk, looking down at Miguel. I felt so bad for him.
“Holding up?” Hawk asked

“Yeah, as well as I can” Miguel nodded, looking over at me “My mom told me what happened… About Tory-”

“They made their peace” Hawk spoke up for me “Of course, Harley still hates her guts, don’t think I don’t know… but it’s better to have peace then have enemies huh?”

“Yeah I suppose so” Miguel nodded “... you sure are something else Harles. Ya know, I wouldn’t blame you for killing her yourself” Miguel smiled “You’re the most merciful human on the planet”

I smiled softly, leaning over and gently hugging Miguel, luckily he could use his arms.

~~

We hung out at the hospital for a little while, told Miguel about what was going on. Despite my wishes he seemed to understand Hawk’s want to keep me safe, and his sympathy with Kreese. He wouldn’t admit it, but Miguel had almost given up hope that he’d ever walk again, which meant no karate either. There was a large part of me that wanted to quit karate all together. But it was my life, I wouldn’t be whole without it.

When we found out about Miguel’s mom struggling with money for Miguel’s surgery. I wanted to do something, but between school, karate and trying to find a job for myself, that wasn’t looking overly possible. I hoped my dad would have some idea of what to do since he’d been home for a little while, but that hope faded quickly as well. In the end, I was the one that came up with an idea.

-'|'-'|'-'|'-

Short and sweet chapter