| Prologue |

Many, many decades back, when love and peace was still smiling and laughing around the world like a happy child, when betrayals and hatred were afraid to put their steps on this land of love, God used to bless his most loved children.

Birds, the heavenly messengers of God used to gift that blessing in the form of one of their feathers named Doyatanjali, which, when turned into quills and embraced with love, good energies spread out.

But when drenched with blood...

“Bhanu! Why is there so much blood?” A middle-aged man springs up from the wooden chair.

“Give me the Doyatanjali.” A young man growls, blood dripping from the cut of his palm.
With furrowed brows, the man tries to connect dots behind this sudden demand from Bhanu.

“Whatever you’re thinking of doing is wrong. I, Raghavendra Basu Nath, will never let that happen until I’m alive.”

“Then maybe you need to die bhai.” Bhanu brings out their ancestral sword and pierces inside Raghavendra’s stomach. Blood splatters on Bhanu’s blank face when he pulls out the blood dripping sword and forces it inside the cut once again.

“Bha... Bhanu.” Raghavendra’s blood-clad body falls on the groud, shock and pain of betrayal in his eyes with blood dripping from the corner of the mouth.

While Raghavendra is still struggling with breath, Bhanu rushes towards an old mirror hanging on the wall.

“It’s you right?” Bhanu grabs the mirror with his bloody hands and speaks with sparkles in his eyes, “You are the door to my fortune. The door to rule the world and get all the luxuries. I... I can now have all I want. No-one will stop me. All I need is the...” he looks around and goes towards the table which is at the far end of the room.

He steps on the pool of blood in which Raghavendra is lying with open eyes. The whole room has now bloody footsteps. Bhanu searches each and every compartment of the luxurious wooden table. But in vain.

“Damn! Where did he keep it?” He looks around frantically until he pushes away some things off the table out of frustration. From among those, fell the white quill. Bhanu picks up the quill with a gleam in his eyes. But the moment blood gets soaked by the ordinary looking white quill, it starts getting red. The bloody red makes the innocence of Doyatanjali  disappear...

It is said that a sinister laughter echoed that night at Ashish Mahal for a long time followed by a defeating painful scream. But some says... The scream was actually the laughter of evil’s arrival.  

###

440 words