"Ace and Charles were your dad's best friends and partners but they had some issues that made them become arch enemies. When they found out that your father was going to expose their evil deeds, they knew they had to stop him so that night, Ace came to retrieve the flash drive that contained every single conspiracy about them. Your father probably had a hidden copy. That's why I'm wondering how you got it. It was the same flash drive Ace wanted to collect"

"Ace, Charles and my dad were friends?"

"After that night, your father called me two days later. He told me he had escaped from captivity with the help of a friend. He told me he was alright and that he'd be staying undercover for a while. He didn't want to come home because it might put us in more danger. We kept communicating via phone calls for almost a month till the day my water broke. I entered labour prematurely. You were in school and I had no one to help me. I called your dad severally but he didn't pick so I decided to call an ambulance instead. The ambulance took a while to get here. When I was done with delivery, the babies were dead" she choked on a sob "They were delayed for too long which made them too weak. Your dad called finally called me back. I poured out all my anger on him. Maybe, just maybe if he had been there on time, the babies would still be alive. He told me not to worry, that he was going to fix things. Ever since that phone call, I never heard from your dad again"

Silence .

By the time she was done, there was a silence so loud that you could cut it with a knife. I was lost in thought. The previous anger that once coursed through my veins turned into feelings of betrayal and sadness as I processed the information that had just been given to me.

My dad didn't die that night, after all. I was so torn in between my emotions; I didn't know how to feel anymore. I felt excited, excited that my dad might still be out there but at the same time, I felt sadness, sadness for knowing that my mom kept this from me.

"You hid this from me......for ten years"

"Adaeze'

'Why?"

"I didn't want to get your hopes up as a child. It's been ten years. He's obviously dead by now"

"What part of 'fix things' do you not understand? He obviously went back in time"

She stomped her foot on the ground hard.

"You sound exactly like your father. Time travel doesn't exist"

"Yes, it does. You just never believed in dad enough. You never believed that he could do it. If he was a white man, it would have been different"

"That's not true"

"Yes, it is. You should have told me this a long time ago. We would have figured it out together. You never heard from dad after that call yet you believe that nothing suspicious happened. Did you ever wonder the cause of his disappearance? You don't want to find out what happened to your husband?"

"I tried Ada. I tried for years"

"Well, you didn't try hard enough! You should have told me. Instead, you hid it from me, just like you hid dad's existence. Growing up, I looked for dad's belongings for anything that could constantly remind me of him. I found nothing. I have nothing. That's because you threw them all away" I shook my head in disbelief "I will never forgive you for this"

After that, I stormed into my room and locked the door behind me. I have to tell my friends about this. Maybe they can help me pick up the pieces.

I paced up and down in my room, lost in my thoughts. When my dad said he wanted to fix things, he obviously thought he could fix them by going back in time. I'm sure of it. Something must have gone wrong.