Chapter 6: A Slight Push Towards Affection

5 Days to the Journey

-ROYAL MEETING ROOM-

Sakura laughed nervously while Syaoran just (accidentally?) banged his face on the table.

"You're kidding us... right?" Sakura asked, a pleading tone layering her edgy voice.

Fujitaka and Nadeshiko shook their heads in unison. "We kid you not. Here, the official letter from Queen Yelan herself." Fujitaka showed the parchment to Sakura and Syaoran.

The Li prince held back his tears, evoked by the very image of his deceased mother, etched at the back of his mind.

Sakura saw the look of sorrow on his face, and took the letter away, reading it first. Li-kun needed some time to prepare himself, she thought.

The letter itself was a yellowing scroll of pale green paper. The writing was arranged in a neat, cursive style; green in colour. It appears as if the whole passage was glowing turquoise, on and off, radiating with strong magic.

Sakura's eyes darted back and forth as she read what was printed.

'Dear close friends, Fujitaka and Nadeshiko Kinomoto,

It is I, Yelan Li. I highly doubt that I'd be still breathing on this side of Wedromone at the precise moment you're reading this message. I had my last premonition last night. In fact, I could still remember the pain that brought me to my knees in the vision. It was instant, my death. But I knew I died with contentment.

What puzzled me was that in the middle of the dream, it told me of the future. It was a scene worth recalling. There it was, a shabby-looking crimson red ribbon, shining in the darkness that I was in.

An image appeared in front of me, of a wolf licking the petals of a dying cherry blossom flower. The brown eyes of the beast were filled with love, while the cherry blossom lay limp in his paw. It was a heart-breaking sight. A single droplet of glistening crystal-clear water sprouted from the wolf's eyes, and dropped with a soft patter on the flower. Instantly, the petals coloured again, brimming with revived life. It brought tears to my own eyes, as the wolf held the flower close to his face, never letting go.

The red ribbon, too, renewed itself, now embroidered with golden Sakura flowers.

Suddenly, I woke up, much to my dismay.

Somehow, I felt a connection between that dream, and real life. After much thinking, I saw the reason why the wolf and flower appeared.

It was Syaoran Li, my youngest son, and Sakura Kinomoto, your dear daughter, together. It certainly brought much happiness to my life, and even the fact that I would pass away soon didn't deter that joy from my heart. It was a knowledge I know that I will cherish, whether I'm in the living world or resting in the spiritual realm.

I am sure that you have remembered the promise we made together, the four of us, while watching our two youngest children playing together when they were just three years of age.

I am also sure that the kids might not remember the small event in which Syaoran had accidentally kissed Sakura on the lips while they were chasing each other in the palace corridors. It lasted more than 8 seconds, didn't it? And they were still just 3 years old then! They were certainly confused they didn't think about letting go.'