CHAPTER V

After spending the rest of the day just milling around Safe Haven (and eating lunch), Delvis and Whynnie prepared to give Aphrodite their first update at The Love Shack. It was on their way there that they saw the breaking news on their phones: "Assassin slaughters six in raid on Xirxine headquarters. Xirxine chairpersons under fire for colossal failure."

Delvis paused before entering The Love Shack, staring at his phone as his good mood (which had impressively remained from breakfast up 'til this point) evaporated. "You gotta be kidding me," he said flatly.

"Oh my god," Whynnie whispered, covering her mouth as she read the same headline.

Delvis set his jaw and shoved his phone into his pocket, storming into The Love Shack. "This has gotta stop," he growled.

-

"I'm not doing it."

"Oh, come now, darling," Aphrodite tutted, floating around the dimly-lit interior of her personal office. "You have what it takes."

"Yeah. I also have a family," her addressee retorted.

"Ah, but what about the city?" Aphrodite challenged.

"There are people taking care of it. My husband being one of them."

"Feh." Aphrodite scoffed. "A wonderful job they're doing so far."

"...I don't even know why I came here. We have nothing to talk about."

Aphrodite narrowed her eyes. "Listen to me, you ungrateful brat," she spat. "If you don't take up your mantle and lead my security detail, I will stop at nothing to rework that hex. I will find out how it failed, and it will NOT happen a second time."

"Ha! Like it'll even affect me. You're grasping at straws here."

Aphrodite clenched her hands into fists, seething, "There are other hexes to fear, girl. Spells you know NOTHING about!"

The addressee laughed again and stood, heading for the office's exit.

Xavior and Hart glanced at their mother uncertainly, sending a silent question as to whether or not they should stop the addressee from leaving.

"You can't run from it forever," Aphrodite hissed, causing the addressee to pause at the door. "You know who you are, and you know your purpose. Sooner or later, you'll have no choice but to fulfill it... and take your place at my side."

The addressee glanced over her shoulder, one hand still on the door handle. "Dream on, Mom," she replied quietly, her pink eye flashing with malice.

-

Delvis and Whynnie jumped back slightly as Camilla Gray barged out of Aphrodite's office. "Cam! Hey!" Whynnie said in surprise, smiling widely. "How've you—"

"Shut it, Whyn," Camilla growled, storming past the detectives.

Whynnie blinked. "Um, ouch?"

Delvis glanced from the door of the office to Camilla as she disappeared out The Love Shack's main entrance. "What was she doing here?" he wondered.

"I dunno," Whynnie replied with a shrug. "She hasn't come by in years."

Delvis hesitated before shrugging. "Well, whatever it is, it isn't our problem—or our business. Let's just do what we came to do and get back to work." He turned and knocked on the door, warily eying the bodyguards standing on either side of it.