CHAPTER IV

Delvis spent the next few days doing what he'd done before becoming a detective: pacing around and poring over notes. He was, thankfully, mostly unaffected by Aphrodite's spell, aside from a few minor aches and pains. On Wednesday, he pinned a new article to his board—one describing the assassination of a doll-faced siren named Sabrina. "That's four," he had murmured to himself, stepping back and crossing his arms.

Veronika had struck again.

Then, finally, Friday rolled back around.

       Delvis awoke to the sound of his cellphone ringing

Delvis awoke to the sound of his cellphone ringing. He let out a moan and picked it up, staring at the caller ID. It was a number he was familiar with, albeit one that hadn't popped up on his phone in almost ten years.

Sighing, Delvis reluctantly answered the call. "Hey, Cameron," he said with a yawn, rubbing his face. "What's up?"

"Not my morale," Cameron answered, sounding sour and irritated. "The Saved decided to start my day with an attack on the B! District Mosque."

"Oof. You stop it?"

"...Mostly."

"...Oh." Delvis sat up, sighing. "So I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess you're not calling just to say 'hi'."

"Good guess. You remember our talk?"

"Couldn't forget it."

"Then you'll be fine with joining me for a little chat after you do that 'digging' tonight."

"...Chat."

"That's right."

"Uh... okay." Delvis held his phone between his head and shoulder, rummaging through his drawers for clothes. "When and where?"

"Starlight's. You let me know when you're done digging."

"Okay. Gotchya." He cracked a smile. "Just like old times, huh?"

"Considering the fact that I'm married... not exactly. But close enough."

"Right. See you then, I guess."

"You'd better. I kept Xirxine off your back for a week; they won't wait any longer."

Delvis frowned as the call ended abruptly. "Geez. She's right. That was nothing like old times," he muttered to himself.

Shaking off his mild disappointment after a moment, Delvis freshened up, got dressed, and headed to the living room.

However, someone else had beat him to the board.

Delvis paused as he stepped into the living room, staring at Whynnie as she stared at the board, tapping her chin with the butt of her pen. "This sucks," she said loudly. "This freaking sucks."