Chapter Five

Trailer by @tinkertaydust

I'm trying to forget that I'm addicted to you

- Simple Plan, Addicted

-Chapter Five-

Almost two years now. Two years of Jim drinking and slowly killing himself. Sebastian had tried to get him to stop but in the end they both knew that Jim was going to do whatever the hell he wanted regardless of those around him.

Sighing, Sebastian washes the last plate and puts it on the draining broad. The dishwasher broke down last week and frankly Sebastian isn't interested in what Jim put in there to cause that. Just the same as he didn't ask when he found the toaster leaking cider.

Every day, Sebastian hopes that Jim will have had an epiphany during the night and be motivation to stop drinking, to sort his life out and maybe go see if Sherlock's willing to resume their arrangement.

The change was only subtle when Jim started sleeping with Sherlock but overall it made a big difference to how Jim acted. His smile were a little more genuine, the same could be said for his laugh. He was honestly happier. Sebastian loved seeing his boss and best friend that way. Well, ex-boss.

After drying his hands, Sebastian heads out of the room. As he passes through the doorway, though, Jim appears and puts a hand on his shoulder, stopping him.

It's early in the morning. Jim most likely just woke up - although now a days his appearance was always as dishevelled as it is now and it's no longer a clue about the man's sleeping pattern. Sebastian can smell the alcohol on Jim's clothing but Jim's eyes are more alert than usual.

He's hungover but hasn't started drinking yet.

"I miss him..." Jim mumbles.

Sebastian isn't surprised. It's been a long time since they gave up with coded words and subtext littered sentences. Now, Jim tells him daily how he feels. He tells him how much he misses Sherlock and how much he loves the detective who, two years ago, Jim only referred to as his enemy - aloud, anyway.

Jim's hand falls from Sebastian's shoulder and he walks over to the kitchen counter, sitting and promptly pouring himself a glass of scotch.

No tears today, then. Sebastian doesn't comment, he just leaves Jim alone and retreats to his study.

*

Jim spends another year being drunk almost constantly before he decides he wants to see Sherlock again. One last time before... before he ends it all.

So he hacks Mycroft in order to see the footage of the camera's the elder Holmes had hidden in his brother's flat. The first things he sees upon hacking into the system is John Watson. Jim isn't at all surprised that the two of them still live together. They'd probably live together for their entire lives unless John finds a girl he wants to marry.

Jim quickly dismisses the doctor.

His attention is brought back to the man, however, when a chubby toddler runs into the room and up to John. Jim's eyes widen and he hits the button on his laptop to activate the speakers, not caring if Sebastian walks past and hears what he's doing.

"John!" The little girl squeals, climbing on to his lap.

John? So she isn't his daughter?

"Yes?" The doctor asks with a warm smile.

The girl giggles and leans closer to the man. "Mummy's cooking!" She exclaims with such excitement that Jim can only assume they must be having cookies for dinner because dinner is not that exciting.

"Oh, dear. Do you think I'll need to call the firemen?"

They both laugh and then a voice is heard from the direction of the kitchen.

"Oi! I heard that."

Jim's whole body freezes. Sherlock. Sweet Sherlock's voice. Cheerful and happy. Laughing.

He sounds the complete opposite of how Jim feels.

Sh-

Hold on. If Sherlock is responding like that to John's words... That means that the little girl sat on John's lap is Sherlock's child. Why did she call him Mum? Only children that were birthed by men do that. So why-

Jim stops his own thoughts once again as realisation hits him.

Sherlock got pregnant. And now he has a beautiful, happy daughter with wonderful black curls.

Jealousy consumes Jim to his core, studying the screen and waiting to see if he'll discover anything more about the child and who the hell got his precious Sherlock pregnant.

After four hours of watching all he finds out is that Sherlock is very happy and clearly better off without him. When they're all in bed, Jim closes the laptop with a huff.

The glass beside the laptop has been empty for some time and the bottle beside it as well. Jim stands and heads to the kitchen, getting another bottle of bailey's and drinking straight from it as he sits at the island and thinks things through.

The children must be around the age of three. Perhaps even four. She's tall and speaks amazingly well. It's hard to tell. Sherlock is tall and well spoken. His child would certainly be well spoken as well, no matter her age. It's quite possible she's inherited Sherlock's intellect and seems older due to that.

If she is around three, that means that Sherlock got with someone not long after he left.

If she's roughly four, Sherlock must have been sleeping with someone besides him when they were meeting up.

Jim automatically thinks of the doctor that Sherlock is oh so good friend with but then he remembers that the little girl had called John by his name. Not Dad.

He relaxes. It isn't John. He didn't see any sign of a relationship between them, either. John went to his room and Sherlock to his own after tucking his daughter into bed.

Sherlock seemed made for parenthood when Jim watched the screen. It's clear that Sherlock loves the little girl, whose name Jim is yet to learn, with all his heart. Jim hates that Sherlock never looked at him like that but deep down he knows that he's happy for the other man. Sherlock is happy and maybe that's enough of a reason for Jim to stay alive for a while longer.

That and he needs to find out who gave Sherlock a child.

There's only one thing for it.

He'll pay Sherlock a visit.