¤Twenty - nine¤

The Secret Garden, Downton Abbey

At first, he entered unnoticed. Áine was humming to herself, swinging on the swing. Her pale blue dress hugged her figure and Walter couldn't help but note how gorgeous she was. The air was humid, sticky and thick as though a storm was on it's way. "It smells like growing things" he commented, more to himself than Áine. She looked up and smiled her sweet smile. "Doesn't it just. New life. Summer. All good things."

He slowly wandered towards her. There was silence, even the birds dared not speak. "All beautiful things. Like you." She smiled, blushing a little. They chatted for a while then, not about anything in particular, just things. She didn't know how long they had been talking when he took her hand and gazed into her eyes. Deep brown pools of wonder and love. "Áine?" He asked. "Yes?"
" Will, will you be my sweetheart? Will you be my girl?" His heart thumped in his chest as he awaited her answer. She smiled broadly. "Of course." Then, she kissed him. She didn't care that the man was supposed to kiss the woman as apposed to the other way around. It certainly didn't seem to be bothering him. He tasted of honey and her heart soared at his every touch. The kiss intensified and she was tempted to run her hands through his hair. He held her tightly by the waist and pressed her slightly against the tree.

It wasn't until she felt the first drops of rain on her head, that she made any real attempt to pull away. They had only just broken apart and exchanged grins, when the skies opened. The rain came down in sheets, immediately soaking the young lovers. Áine squeeled a little, intertwining her fingers in his and running out of the garden.

Later, after many laughs and many more kisses, Áine was faced with the matter of explaining to Mrs Bates why her clothes were soaking wet and why she was sneezing. Similarly, Walter struggled to explain to Mr Barrow how he had managed to get mud on his livery and why his hair was wet and dishevelled. But Áine and Walter didn't care. They were in love, nothing else mattered.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○

One week later (three days before Simon's deadline)
Cora's bedroom, Downton Abbey

Mrs Goswami helped Cora with her dress. The bump was well visable by now, and the entire family and staff had been informed, although by this time everyone had guessed. They all believed the child to be Robert's of course and were given no reasons to believe otherwise. As Sarah took out Cora's jewellery, Cora stared into the mirror. How old she looked, Cora picked out each and every wrinkle and silently criticised herself. How could someone as old as her bring up another child? But she wasn't on her own, she had two daughters and a nanny and a husband. The husband part worried her the most.

Robert had been so kind and thoughtful and sweet in the last week or so. He definitely knew that the child was Simon's, but never spoke of it, as though he was in denial. Maybe he thought that the only reason she had told him that she wanted to leave, was because she was pregnant. Maybe, that was the real reason. She didn't know. If she didn't know that, then how was she supposed to decide whether to go or stay, in the next three days? She couldn't, and because of that she must stay. But, did that mean that she wanted to stay in the end? Could she possibly leave with Simon after the child is born? If she survives the birth.

And if she did die, if giving birth killed her, who would she want to stay by her side? Who would she want to organise her funeral? Where would she want to be buried? More questions that she was unable to answer. The only thing that she was certain of, is that if it comes to it, they are to save the baby and not her. Two children is enough to loose, she could never go through the loss of three. She sighed deeply. She wiped her hand across her forehead, as if to wipe away the wrinkles. The only proof of her age. Of the strain and stress throughout her life. She glanced at her wardrobe, filled with outfits, filled with memories. Her life so far.

Leaving would be creating a new set of memories, a new life. Would it not? And surely that is what she wants, well, it is what she wanted. She wanted a bigger world and a new life away from Downton, away from Robert. But as time went on, she remembered more of the good times. She wanted her unborn child to grow up at Downton, laugh in the gardens like George and Marigold and Sybbie do. Like Mary, Edith and Sybil had. Like Robert and Rosamund had. Like all the Crawleys had. But, was this child going to be a Crawley? Shouldn't Simon give the child his name? So many questions, so little time. So few answers.

Mrs Goswami had finished her hair and jewellery. "Is that all M'lady?" Cora nodded and Sarah made her way to the door. "Wait!" Cora cried suddenly, "help me pack a case."

Sorry for the slight cliffhanger!

Ah, please let me know what you think of the story so far, the various storylines and such.

I know this is a bit short compared to some of my other chapters.

I hope none of you are getting bored!

Oh, and a shout out to @fromgoldentoashes , who has the most heartwarming and cute Gwilliam fic EVER (it's called 'The Folks Who Live On The Hill' ) GO CHECK IT OUT.

♡♡♡♡ SaskatFishcakes xxx