¤Twenty-one¤

Downton Abbey, Downstairs

Walter was still in a daze. She had hypnotized him with her majestic beauty. She had already captured his heart whole with that blink. He hoped that she didn't have someone special back in Ireland, a big, strapping, dark haired revolutionary who broods and plots but is a hopeless and passionate romantic at heart. Walter wanted her to be his sweetheart, and he formed a plan to get to know her better.

Mr Goswami held his wife's hand as they sat by the fire. He did like England and Downton, but he missed his home. Evey time it rained, he was reminded of the rainy season back in India, and the tree climbing adventures of him and his friends as children, trying to escape the water. Every time he saw someone light the fire he thought of his grandmother striking it up to make dinner. He remembered the stories of when his mother married 'below her' and had to learn to light fires and cook and clean and dress herself! He missed Bombay, the winding streets filled with market holders and the small family business of selling fruit and vegetables. And he hoped to return there.

Daisy watched the new footman. He was good looking enough, but she knew not to pursue him. He was daydreaming, about that cousin of Tom's no doubt. She was the talk of downstairs. They said that she was "near enough to Mahesh's colour", and had "very dark hair". She was "voluptuous"- according to Thomas- and had "a nice manner" according to Mr Carson. Daisy wished that she could see her, but kitchen staff never greeted guests. Mrs Branson was described as "thin but smiley, not grim and boney" and had "an awfully strong version of Tom's accent". She had "greying hair and green eyes". Mrs Goswami was put in charge of dressing her, as"Madge has run away to get married".

Daisy paused in her work when she heard that. Madge, the head housemaid, gone just like that. Daisy didn't even know that there was someone in mind, no one had known. With no replacement, Mr and Mrs Carson had to postpone their departure and find not only a new housekeeper, but a new housemaid too. As for a butler deemed suitable to replace Mr Carson, well it would take a long time to find one. The obvious choice was Thomas because he was the under butler, but there was part of Mr Carson who didn't want him to be in charge of an entire household just yet. Thomas still spent too much time scheming for Charlie's liking.

Elsie was busy putting her things in order, to insure a swift departure when everything else was settled. Part of her didn't want to leave. Her life was in Downton Abbey, she had gone through a lot there and formed real bonds with her employers and other members of staff. She was the mother of Downstairs. She couldn't bare the thought of someone else in her sitting room and walking around with her key. It was too much. As Elsie glanced around the room in which she and Charlie had spent so many evenings chatting, ignorent to their mutual love, tears sprung to her eyes. Charlie was right, 'Life is the acquisition of memories'. And her memories lay here, in Downton Abbey, in a sitting room, downstairs. That, was her life.

○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

Edith's Newspaper (we're calling it that now!)

There was a calm in the office as most of the journalists had gone home. It was late, only the secretary Miss Porter and David Thompson were left. Edith was back at Downton, she said that Tom's mother was coming and it would be rude not to welcome her. Edith was all that was on his mind. He saw her face as he attempted to write an article. He heard her voice when the room was quiet. He kept glancing at her empty office and wishing she was there.

Maybe it was his love for her that had made him so oblivious. Maybe he was so mesmerised by her, that he did not hear them come in. Maybe he was so deep in thought of his beloved, that he did not hear them come up behind him and kick him from behind.