―xiii. long lost sisters and crazy meteorologists

VERONA SEEMED TO HAVE MISSED THE WHOLE long lost sister thing.

For a minute, Jason and Thalia faced each other, stunned. Then Thalia rushed forward and hugged him.

"My gods! She told me you were dead!" She gripped Jason's face and seemed to be taking in every single detail of it. "Thank Artemis, it is you. That little scar on your lip—you tried to eat a stapler when you were two!"

Leo laughed. "Seriously?"

Hedge nodded in approval. "Staplers—excellent source of iron."

"W—wait," Jason stammered. "Who told you I was dead? What happened?"

Verona's new wolf friend barked urgently at Thalia: No time. We'll lose the trail.

Thalia looked back at the wolf and nodded, but she kept her hands on Jason's face, like she was afraid he might disappear. "My wolf is telling me I don't have much time, and she's right. But we have to talk. Let's sit."

Verona did better than that. Her legs gave out and she sat harshly on the ground, wincing at the impact. Her wolf buddy whimpered, nuzzling her stomach with her snout.

Thalia rushed over. "What's wrong with her? Ah—never mind. Hypothermia." She frowned at Hedge. "Don't you know nature healing?"

Hedge scoffed. "Why do you think she looks this good?"

Thalia glared at Leo like it was his fault. "You and the satyr," she ordered, "take your friends to Phoebe. She's an excellent healer."

"It's cold out there!" Hedge said. "I'll freeze my horns off."

"Come on, Coach," Leo said. "These two need time to talk."

He helped Verona up to her (weak) feet as Hedge harrumphed, clearly disappointed he hadn't gotten to actually fight anyone. Still, he wrapped a supporting arm around a woozy-looking Piper.

She, Piper, and Hedge headed to the entrance.

🌿

"Wait, so you guys... actually hunt animals? It's not just a name?" Verona asked, looking warily at the animal skin rug underneath her. It was almost like she could hear the poor creature still crying.

"Of course," Phoebe said, as if it was obvious. "Our mistress is the goddess of the hunt."

Verona crossed her arms over her chest. "I just don't think hunting for sport is a very cool thing for a goddess of the wilderness to do," she said. "My mother certainly doesn't go around killing animals that didn't do anything to deserve it."

"And who would your mother be?" the huntress asked. Verona thought she caught a hint of condescension in her voice, which was just rude. Almost as rude as making your entire existence about the slaughter of wild creatures that called the forests you invaded their homes, but whatever...

"Feronia," Verona said.

Phoebe gave her a strange look. "Feronia is a Roman goddess."

Verona made a face. "So?"

Before the huntress could respond, Leo, Jason, and Thalia came into the tent.

"Oh, no way," Leo complained. "We've been sitting in a cave and you get the luxury tent? Somebody give me hypothermia. I want hot chocolate and a parka!"

Phoebe sniffed. "Boys."

"It's all right, Phoebe," Thalia said. "They'll need extra coats. And I think we can spare some chocolate."