Part 1

Charles and Jane Bingley had been at Netherfield for a twelvemonth. Unfortunately, as they had come to learn, that so near a vicinity to her mother and Meryton relations was not desirable even to his easy temper, or to her affectionate heart.

As neither were particularly eager to cause distress to the other, both had remained silent on the matter, believing that the other was content with their present location. As it was, neither was content, and both secretly wished to end their stay in Hertfordshire. 

The grand hall clock began to chime -- he counted ten. Ten o'clock. And Mrs. Bennet would be by for breakfast with Mary at ten in the morning. He sighed, the thought of the next day, the next week, the next year, all tiring him out at once. Charles took this opportunity to broach the subject with his new wife.

"It is so very agreeable for us to be settled within so easy a distance of you family and friends, is it not?" Bingley spoke softly to Jane, who was thumbing through a novel by candlelight.

"Very much, my love." was Jane's agreeable reply. That was a polite response. A measured response. Having spend a year with her, he now knew her countenance more clearly, and decided to push to uncover her true thoughts on the matter. He looked over at her.

She could feel his eyes on her, knew he was waiting for her to go on. She gently shut her book, placed it on the table beside the bed, and turned to find Charles staring at her.

"I do love my sisters and mother dearly, you know that, Darling. It's just..." Jane paused a moment, thinking of how to properly say what she must.

Charles waited patiently, allowing her to gather her thoughts on the matter.

He reached for her hand, 

They had been married a twelvemonth now, a beautiful wonderful year of domestic bliss and joy. Jane had never known such pleasure, such happiness, such ease. She loved her life at Netherfield... but even she could not stand her family for one second longer. And poor Charles! If her nerves were worn, she could only imagine how fried his must be.

Mrs. Bennet had good intentions. But she was a hard woman to deal with. As of late, she had taken to bringing herself and Mary in the carriage daily for breakfast, again for afternoon tea, and dinners -- at least three courses, at least three times a week, none of which were ever quite correct in their preparation or pairing. Her nerves were still in constant spasms, now over her last two unwed daughters, of whom she was now desperately (to the extreme embarrassment of both) seeking husbands. Of Charles and Jane, she anxiously awaited the arrival of her first grandchildren, and told them so at every luncheon that they must "take the ride to St. George at every opportunity; this way they were sure to get a bishop."

In short, she was driving them mad.

Jane sighed, composing herself before she spoke. As she spoke there was a sort of smile which Charles fancied he understood, yet he waited for her to go on and confirm (or correct) his suspicions. She blushed as she answered: "I must now amend my pervious ideas on how near a wife should live to her family, as I now find that a woman may, in fact, be settled too near her family. The far and the near must be relative, of course, and depend on many varying circumstances...I would not wish to be worlds away, of course...."

"Are you not attached to Hertfordshire? I thought you wished to remain near to your family, which, as you know darling, I am happy to do."

"And, as you may not know, husband, I would be rather satisfied with a change in scenery. 

Charles looked surprised. The gentleman experienced some change of feeling; he drew back, and said, in a colder voice: "Are you not pleased with Netherfield Park?"

"Oh, Charles, of course I love Netherfield, you must know that! It is the most wonderful home, truly. It is special to me, I hope to you too..." she trailed off, glancing up to find him staring. She stared back, and went on. "We fell in love here. I will always love it here. Its just ... my family," she said at last. "Are they not driving you mad?" 

His silent stare was all the confirmation she needed.

Charles was all astonishment. He leaned in a little towards her, and said, "Are you saying that you have given up your strong local attachment? You have been always here at Longbourn--and now you are wishing to leave it?"

"I do." Jane replied, waiting to hear his thoughts on the matter. Perhaps he did not wish to leave, and she did not wish to put pressure on him to do so if it was not in line with his own wishes. But she felt it was important to speak the truth of her own mind on the matter. Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right.

"Quit Netherfield?" He said with a grin. "And where would we go then, if we were to give up our house, my love?"

Jane giggled with relief at his apparent agreement on the matter. "You will have to find us a new house, of course, Mr. Bingley! Preferably something grand. With more grand casings than Rosings and more hunting grounds than Pemberley. Lizzy says Derbyshire is a most beautiful county...""

"Grand," he said as he leaned down and brushed his lips to hers, "I think I can do."