CHAPTER FIFTEEN: NOWHERE TO RUN

Start from the beginning

"Oh! I found your weakness!" She giggles, pinching him again. "The big, bad James Barnes is ticklish!"

He manages to regain his composure, pretends to snarl and flips her onto her back, staring into those beautiful amber eyes. He could drown in them.

"You're my weakness," he breathes.

Dahlia stares at him, her long black eyelashes fluttering, her cheeks still pink. She licks her lips.

"Really?"

He nods.

"What did you say to me last night in Romanian?"

"I said something last night?"

He was hoping she'd forgotten that. She purses her lips and rolls her eyes.

"Don't lie, James — and don't make me tickle you again."

He's risking a lot just opening his mouth to speak to her. James sucks in a deep breath, his heart thumping in his chest. He can see Dahlia's pulse racing. She hides her fear with a giggle.

"You want to tell me something."

"I—"

"You do. Tell me."

He's never felt out of control like this before. It scares him. He wants to run. There's a knock at the door that startles both of them.

"Shit," he whispers. "What is it?"

"Mr. Barnes? You ordered breakfast?" A voice calls.

He kisses her.

"Hold that thought." James rolls off of her and grabs a black silk robe, shrugging it on and tying it around his waist. Dahlia covers herself with a sheet, watching him with a slightly perplexed expression. He winks at her to reassure her that everything's fine, but he can't stop thinking about the confession that's sitting on the tip of his tongue like a bomb waiting to explode. He swallows it and strides forward to open the door.

Ned is standing in front of him with a room service cart that's filled to the brim with things he's pretty sure Dahlia will like - and they're all pink, baby blue, or a soft violet color. Cakes, macarons, tarts, bowls filled with fresh fruit, Mountain Dew (he saw a can on the counter and figured it was hers), and a teapot filled with fruity tea because she doesn't like anything that tastes too sharp.

"You're a treasure, Ned. Thank you."

"No problem, Mr. Barnes."

He pats Ned on the shoulder and wheels the cart inside as he shuts the door. Dahlia sits up.

"It's all pink!"

"I know you like pink."

"How did you know I liked pink?"

"Well, I figured you liked color, so it was just a hunch."

She stands up, abandoning the sheet and walks over to the cart. James can't stop staring at her gorgeous body as her skin glitters in the sunlight. She leans over the cart and grabs a can of Mountain Dew, holding it up.

"You knew I liked Major Melon?!"

He smirks.

"I saw it sitting on the counter at the shop. I figured it was yours."

"You figured well," she giggles, her eyes dancing with delight. He can feel the words forming on the tip of his tongue, threatening to spill through his lips. She leans over and gasps again. "Macaroons?! Strawberry tarts— oh!" She gasps. "Look at these little teacups with roses on them! James!"