Dorothy set her foot down on the last step, ready to bound off toward Benjamin with her gift. But just before she sprang down from the steps, she felt something hit her shoe, and she lunged forward.

The dust flew into the girl's face as she hit the ground, and she felt the pebbles cut into her arm. Almost trembling in shock, she got up and looked around in confusion. What had made her trip? Could she really have been that clumsy? All she could see was Julian's straight face staring back at hers. He was sitting on the bottom step with his legs spread out in the walkway.

"Oh!" Dotty gasped. "Did I trip over you?" She dusted her dress off and put a hand over the stinging scrapes on her arm. "I'm so sorry!"

The boy's brow wrinkled with a look of confusion and dissatisfaction. Dorothy wrung her hands nervously. She could tell he was upset with her. But in just a moment, he laughed and shrugged his shoulders.

"That's alright," he said with a sneering smile. "Clumsy people do stupid things. And with shoes like those ones," he added, nudging her worn out boots with his nice ones, "Who could blame you?"

Dorothy was silent. She didn't know whether he was being kind or whether he was still angry with her, but there was something in his voice that put a chill down her spine. She pressed her lips together, trying to think of something to say. But she just couldn't find the words. All of a sudden, she felt very nervous and frightened. Not far away, Jack Paine listened with a cruel grin on his face. Quietly, she turned to walk away.

"Hey!" Julian shouted. The girl stood still, her heart pounding in her chest. "It's rude to walk away just like that. What's your name, kid?" Dorothy looked back at the boy, but she still couldn't find the voice to speak. The boy rolled his eyes. "What's wrong with you? Cat got your tongue? Here, I'll show you how this is done." He got up from his seat and walked calmly toward her. Then, with cold dignity, he reached out his hand. "My name is Julian Gray. What's yours?" he asked.

"D-d-dotty," the girl stuttered quietly.

Julian squinted his eyes. "Spotty?!" he burst. "What kind of a name is that?" Jack cackled as he listened. "Glad to meet you Spotty!" Julian went on, shaking her hand vigorously. A look of hurt spread over Dorothy's face.

"No," she began pleadingly, "that isn't my name."

"Oh, I see!" Julian said quickly. "You said your name was Knotty! I guess that's because of all those tangled knots in that rat's nest of yours!" He tugged hard on one of Dorothy's red curls and roared with laughter again. Dotty pulled her hair across one of her shoulders and looked down at the ground with tears in her eyes.

"You cryin'?" Julian asked in surprise and amusement. "Well, I guess any girl would if her name was Knotty. Don't worry, kid. Maybe if you combed that hair of yours once in a while, you wouldn't be so knotty!"

From a long way away, the sound of Julian and Jack's voices shattered the beautiful poem which Emiline had been reading. She looked up with a frown, but in a flash, her irritation turned to horror. Dorothy looked pale and afraid as Julian sneered down at her. In fury Emma stomped toward the villainous boys, determined to save her friend.

"What are you doing to this poor girl?" she demanded angrily. She wrapped a caring arm around Dorothy, and the little girl clung to her for protection. Julian was still trying to control his chuckles.

"What are you, her mother hen?" he asked with a snicker and a crooked smile. Emma stared at him angrily. "Better fly away, chicken. I'm not in a mood to be hen pecked right now." He narrowed his eyes threateningly, and the girls' hearts throbbed with fear. There was something so evil about the boy's voice, something so ruthless about his face.