Chapter 11: Amphitrite's Ring

Jack pulls away, taking in a large breath of air. He can now breath as well as I can.

I look at him in shock and he just laughs at my naivety.

A sudden screech rings through the water, I look up to see the mermaids that block our path had become feral. Their eyes were pale and piercing, their mouths gaping with intimidatingly sharp fangs.

My heart sank as they propel themselves toward us. What can I do?

One of them claws at me, her long nails cutting me across the chest like a sharpened blade. It quickly became obvious that the only options I had were fight... or die.

She attempts to slash me again and I reflexively grab her by her wrists. A horrifying amount of blood floats from my chest and clouds my vision. We spin through the water like a couple of ballroom dancers as I wrestle for my life.

I howl in agony as another comes up from underneath me and shreds my tail fin. I kick her face with all of my force and she sinks to the bottom.

The one I had been wrestling with begins to lose the strength in her hands, her face falling pale. I see more blood float by and notice she had been stabbed through her abdomen. I let go of her wrists and her body sinks also, revealing Jack behind her with a bloodied sword in his hand.

A strong smell crosses my nose, it smells absolutely delectable. Like a well seasoned steak. I look around to find the source of the smell until I realize it was, in fact, Jack that smelt so sweet.

He was covered in gashes on his arms, legs and chest. The blood that pooled around him made my mouth water.

What is wrong with me!?

I put my hand on my face to suffocate the smell but pull away in horror as I realize that I also had fangs.

I am not a monster! I refuse to go feral.

I desperately examine my surroundings, all of the mermaids had fallen into the sand. Some were dead, some still gripping to life.

Next to the carnage I notice a small tunnel. Inside the tunnel is an old looking chest, covered in coral and barnacles. On its front was a crest, it resembled one of the symbols that was engraved onto the cover of the grimoire. This is what we've been searching for.

I look toward Jack and he had already began to swim toward the chest. I grab his arm and motion for him to go to the surface. He shakes his head in disapproval and pulls me toward the cave.

He tries to pry open the lid but it does not budge. He hacks away some of the barnacles to reveal a large and oddly shaped key hole.

He wraps his arms around his chest, he's is still bleeding out. I can tell from his somber expression that pain he feels is overcome by the feeling of disappointment.

I stare at the tears in his chest, running my fingers along the ones on my own. Was this all for nothing?

I notice the dagger that my father had given me still sticks out of Jack's back pocket. The filagree on its handle matching that of the weathered chest.

I reach into his pocket and he shoots me a bewildered look.

I examine the dagger, it was about the side of the key hole. It's worth a shot!

I slide the dagger into the hole, it fits like a glove. It takes a bit of force to turn it as the mechanism had been encrusted with a thick layer of scum. The chests heavy lid releases itself and Jack helps me to lift it.

Inside, atop a nest of kelp, lay a large black oyster. I remove the dagger from the chest and use it to ply open the shell.

I'm in awe. The ring was much more beautiful in person than in the poorly drawn sketches in the grimoire. I turn to Jack and our eyes meet, he had a proud smile on his face. I motion toward the surface again and he nods his head this time.