Chapter 10: A Mermaid's Kiss

"Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me!
We pillage plunder, we rifle and loot!
Stand up me hearties, yo ho!
We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot!
Stand up me hearties, yo ho!"

Jack sings gleefully. The boat sways as he steers it back and forth between the sharp rocks, only their shadows visible in the oncoming darkness.

"Sing with me!" He cheers. "I'd like nothing more then to hear your beautiful voice again!"

I can't help but smile, his happiness was contagious.

"Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me!
We extort and pilfer, we filch and sack!
Stand up me hearties, yo ho!
Maraud and embezzle and even highjack!
Stand up me hearties, yo ho!"

I sing along.

He takes a hand off of the wheel and wraps it around my waist, swaying me back and forth with the ship. 

"This is the most fun I've had in a while." I grin.

"Do you know what would make it even more fun?"

"What?" I'm genuinely curious.

"Rum!" He grins and I shake my head. Of course. I can't help but laugh.

"Can i ask you something?" I decide to take advantage of this good mood he is in.

"Shoot!" He smirks.

"Who is Angelica...?"

I look at him and he knits his brows in thought.

"Just an old acquaintance of mine." He says nonchalantly.

"Do you still love her?" I ask bluntly.

He turns me to face him, his hand still around my waist.

"No." He scans my face with his eyes as he speaks, as if to gage my expression.

"Do you really mean that?" I thought i would frustrate him with the intrusive questioning but his face remained soft.

"Yes, I was not sure before but now I'm certain." He nods, reassuring himself.

"How?"

"Well...a wise man once said..." He looks up into the starry sky, as if recalling something. "If you love two people at the same time, choose the second... Because if you really loved the first one, you wouldn't have fallen for the second."

My heart stops momentarily. My lungs feel tight.

"And who is the second...?" I manage to speak.

"I'm not drunk enough for that conversation..." He grins.

"Oh look! What's that!?" He quickly  changes the subject, taking his arm off of me and pointing toward the cliff.

There is a large bolder protruding from its front. It was covered in veins of white granite, from a distance it really did look like a human heart.

There was no entrance to be seen. Ah, the sailors heart! I run and grab it, I had put it in an empty lantern so I would not have to physically touch it to use it light.

Jack brings the front of the ship as closely as possible to the cliff. I lean over the bow and hold the light toward it.

As the golden light bounces off of the stone it becomes clear and wavy, like running water.

I reach out my hand but I feel nothing, the stone had disappeared.

I pull the light away out of curiosity and it turns back to stone. I run my hand along it, feeling it's rough coolness.