• Part 13

Bella's POV

The phone didn't work. After all that, we could barely get signal. I kept trying, however, scrambling on rocks to get to higher ground whilst Jethro remained on the flat rocks below, unable to climb due to his leg. At one point, I gained one bar and clicked on the first person that came up on my phone: Ruby. She didn't answer. Of course. And by then the signal was gone again.

"Where the hell is Alex?!" Jethro moaned, running one hand through his hair in frustration.

"You really think he's worrying about you after that little fight you had?" I replied, climbing back down so I was on the same level as him.

"Boys' arguments don't last as long as girls'."

"Why not?"

He laughed, as if this was a simple concept, or maybe he thought I wouldn't understand."Boys, we share a few insults, maybe push each other around a bit, but then that's it," he shrugged, "we forget it ever happened."

"And girls? What do we apparently do?" I questioned.

"Girls," he leaned back in a relaxed manner, "girls hold grudges."

"We don't." I was quick to respond, but he smiled knowingly. I suddenly thought of Ruby. If she found out I ditched her for one of Jethro's parties I don't think she'd be exactly quick to forgive me.

"Whatever." Jethro shrugged, a smile still remaining on his lips.

It was dark now. I could only distantly hear the shouts from the party, and the waves were growing calmer, lapping against the rock in which we sat on.

"Hey, it's not as rough now," Jethro motioned to the water, "why don't you swim across and get some help."

I shuffled awkwardly, scared of admitting the truth. "Why don't you go?"

He squinted at me. "You were just kidding earlier, right? That you can't swim?"

"Of course I can swim, I just..." I trailed off. "I'm just not that good."

What I really wanted to say was the that the only thing I could really do was tread water or maybe swim a little in a life or death situation. But I couldn't.

"Fine, I guess we'll just stay here even longer." Jethro moaned like a child, throwing his head back in frustration.

I was about to sit back down, when I heard voices across from us. I wasn't able to see their faces, but I could easily match the voice to the person.

"If he's left I'll kill him." That was Alex, but his voice was muffled from the wind and the waves.

"God stop being so over dramatic." That was a voice I couldn't quite hear over the noise, but their identity was soon discovered by the next person to speak.

"Didn't you say you'd kill Bella if you found her here?"

Uh oh. That was Callum without a doubt.

"I never said I'd kill her." Ruby's voice rang out, the footsteps and voices getting louder by the second.

"Shut up both of you." A harsh tone snapped.

"Is that Alex?" Jethro suddenly seemed to hear them too. He moved, standing up and leaning against the rock as he opened his mouth to speak.

"Wait, Jethro, please..." I tried to stop him but he called out too quickly.

"Hey! Alex! Over here!" His voice was hoarse as the footsteps in the distance quickened.

"Jethro?" Alex called back, a foot appearing at the edge of the rocks.

________________