• Part 5

Ruby texted me on Saturday with the address of where we were going to go, but there was no description or explanation, so I searched it up online, and apparently it was some sort of golf club. I thought it was a bit weird that Ruby wanted to spend our Saturday at a golf club, but she had insisted I go.

When I arrived, Ruby was waiting in reception with Callum. "Hey." she said as I strolled up to them - they had already bought golf clubs and were clearly waiting for me.

"Am I late?" I asked.

"Um, no, Callum just wanted to get here early because of..." she was interrupted when a girl sashayed down the corridor, not taking any notice of us as Callum stared at her.

"This is why we're here? Demi's here too?" I sighed.

"No..." Ruby said, but Callum interrupted.

"Yes." he said, still staring on at her whilst Ruby shook her head at me beside him.

"Um, just one problem, I can't play golf." I said, trying to change the subject.

"Neither can we." she replied.

"THEN WHY ARE WE HERE?" I hissed - these two were really starting to bug me. My old friends at Primary were never this complicated.

"You'll see." Ruby said, walking past me to the course outside and gesturing for me to follow.

"What the hell's that supposed to mean?"

____________________________

We were on the 4th hole when we decided to give up. None of us could get less than twenty shots on each one, and it was just generally really boring.

"Are you gonna tell me what we're doing here now?" I asked as we packed up our stuff.

Ruby said nothing, only nodded down towards an area of grass sat beside a lake. There was a marquee set up with a dining table and people eating lunch. Towards the end of the table was a blond boy, deep in conversation with someone who looked like Alex, but I wasn't sure.

"Jethro? What's he doing here?"

"This is his dad's golf club."

"Seriously?" I replied, then squinted to see the rest of the guests at the table: Demi was also there.

"I thought Demi and Jethro broke up?"

"They did. This is Jethro's family's annual lunch - they're friends with Demi's family too. That's why she's here."

Callum smacked his golf club on the ground, creating a crater in the ground and causing a few of the other golfers to look in our direction.

"What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing."

At that minute, we could see some of the people at the table getting up and walking onto the course.

"Oh shoot he's coming this way." I said, to which Ruby raised an eyebrow.

"Bella. They're playing golf."

"I know, but what if he recognises me?"

"He's never even spoken to you! He probably doesn't even know you exist." Callum said and I glared. "No offence." he added. "I just mean, Jethro Stevenson doesn't care about anyone but himself."

Ruby sighed. "Callum, let's not get into that now."

I had drowned out their conversation as I watched Jethro take his shot. He swung and it hit the ball cleanly, flying across the course and landing on the fairway.

"How does he do that?" I said, genuinely confused as to how a person can be so amazing. It took me a moment to realise that I had been staring at him for a while now, and it looked like he'd noticed.

"Oh he's actually coming over now." I said, biting my lip as I watched Jethro stroll up to us; all of us were watching him now and I admit it must have been a bit weird for him.

"We need to play this hole." he said confidently. Ruby was completely silent, and I tried to speak but I didn't know what to say.

"We're not finished." Callum said bluntly, to which Jethro responded by smirking.

"I didn't ask if you were finished."

"We can go, Callum. We were going anyway." I said, and could feel Callum's eyes boring into my back.

"There you go. Listen to your girlfriend. Or I could go and get Demi to tell you to leave. I'm sure you'd like that." he said mockingly.

Callum remained silent and glared at him.

"So are you going? Or will I have to go get that witch to come up here and tell you herself?"

It took about 1 second between Jethro saying it before Callum was flying at him.

"Callum!" Ruby yelled, and the two of us tried to pull him off Jethro, who was fighting back. When we eventually managed to pull them apart, I noticed people from the marquee by the lake were starting to get up to see what all the commotion was about.

"Stop!" I yelled as Callum lunged for Jethro again, but Ruby pulled him back. Jethro's nose was bleeding and Callum had a scratch on his face but that was about it in terms of the damage. "Let's get out of here." I said, and Callum and Ruby followed.