• Part 11

I can't believe I lied to Ruby!

That was all that was in my mind for the rest of the week as Friday grew closer and closer. I felt so ridiculously guilty it was maddening, but there was no way I was missing this party.

On Thursday night, a notification pinged up on my phone, and unfortunately, I was in the kitchen doing homework with my phone faced down on the counter. And unfortunately I was also too slow. Indira grabbed my phone before I could stop her, and at the time, I wasn't too bothered, but then she read out the message.

"Who's Alex?"

"What!?" I said, my head snapping up as soon as the words left her mouth.

"Apparently Alex has requested to follow you." she smiled wryly, her eyebrows raised as she tried to get into my phone. Luckily, she'd never guess my password. I grabbed the phone back off her, ignoring her protests and saw it for myself. It was the first time a boy had requested to follow me on anything.

I hastily put my phone in my pocket and darted upstairs, ignoring Indira once again. When I was safely in my room, I opened Instagram and clicked on notifications, my hand practically shaking for some reason.

I bit my lip. Alex is my first step in getting close to Jethro, I originally thought, then realised it made me sound like some sort of stalker. Then once again Ruby crept into my mind. I wondered if just telling her would be the best option: Alex had said I could invite who I wanted, but then she'd get mad for blowing her off for a stupid party. Only it wasn't stupid to me.

I spent the rest of the evening picking out an outfit, styling my hair in ways that I'd never even seen before, and I noticed how similar I looked to Indira these days. Both of us with the same blonde hair and alike features.

I didn't even realise it had gone past 11 o'clock. My mum and Indira were already in bed as the light on the landing was off.

I thought about texting Ruby but then quickly decided against it. I would tell her in the morning. Definitely.

________________

But I didn't. The day dragged on and I barely saw Ruby at all. At break, she had a club, and at lunch, I had football.

Which was...awkward, to say the least. Lili barely looked at me, and neither did any of Jethro's group. So the whole session was pretty boring overall,

The one lesson I was not looking forward to was Chemistry.

I dragged my feet up the stairs to my last lesson of the day, knowing exactly who'd be waiting there.

I slouched into my seat at the front, not even looking at the girl next to me, although I could feel her eyes boring into my skull. But she didn't say a word. It didn't matter, however.

No doubt I'd be seeing Demi tonight.

_________________

After school, I headed straight home. And I mean straight home. I saw Ruby, but tried to ignore her as I sped down the path to my house, praying she didn't see me.

Flustered after my speed walk, I opened the house and threw my keys on the table as I sprinted up to my room, banging my leg on the stairs as I tripped.

The party started at 6:00, so I had between then, and the time I was supposed to be at Ruby's, which was was a whole hour. So I had to be secretive.

I spent a little while doing my hair and getting changed, and before I knew it it was 4:50. Ten minutes before I'd promised to be at my best friend's house.

The next 40 minutes until I had to leave were torture. I made sure not to be on my phone so Ruby wouldn't see I was active on any social media accounts or anything. Instead, I watched some TV. I heard Indira come in at about 5:00 (she had detention), but she went straight to her room, not even bothering to say hello.