'15.0 - RANKINGS.

basorexia (n

basorexia (n.)
a strong craving or hunger for kissing

☀︎︎

| CHAPTER FIFTEEN |

☀︎

IT WAS THAT TIME OF THE YEAR AGAIN.

time for gowns and extravagant ceremonies to celebrate a corrupt ranking system.

when you'd first started your career as a hero, you'd skipped the first two gallas to show your disapproval of the rankings.

you believed that heroes should be motivated to serve justice to the criminals and give voice to the victims. let them be heard. let their stories be shared.

but almost no one has been immune to the obsession the rankings bring. endeavor was a toxic example of it.

you couldn't believe he had major tunnel vision to beat all might instead of focusing on saving people. the saving was just the means to feed his obsession. at least his priorities had seemed to have shifted in the recent years.

even all might wasn't fully immune to the pressure and need to be popular, a symbol of peace, the number one hero.

these so called heroic role models inspired a generation to be so competitive and fixated on being praised that it was almost like they'd forgotten the true nature of their jobs.

prioritizing modeling and sponsored ads over spending more time on patrols and ensuring the city was safe was a common practice among most top heroes in the months leading to the galla.

the only other person you knew who despised the publicity aspect of the role was bakugou.

but even his psych suffered from the pressure of appeasing his parents, trying to be number, trying to be like all might, being the picture of perfection. because your predecessors made it okay, normal, even a necessity.

to be a good hero was to be number one.
to be a good hero was to be popular.
to be a good hero was to be loved by everyone.

but they were missing a point that so obvious it frustrated you.

all might wasn't the symbol of peace because of his popularity. his popularity was a result of it.

so yeah, you despised the whole ranking thing and were dead set on skipping them all.

you never did sponsored ads or modeling. rarely did interviews. and sometimes did meet and greets just to thank the people for supporting and trusting you.

but since you joined endeavor's agency, they'd been forcing you to attend the gallas, saying it's part of your contract and just another side of the job.