Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

            My eyes fluttered open slowly and at first all I saw was blurriness. I knew I shouldn’t panic, but the fear inside me just wanted to. I thought I was going blind, but not long from that my eye sight began clearing up. I tried to move, but I couldn’t. I looked up and noticed a huge chunk of the plane sitting on top of me; I closed my eyes for a few seconds, reopened them, and realized it was an airplane wing that was crushing my body. I struggled trying to get out, but the wing was just too heavy. My breathing started to get heavier and heavier. I closed my eyes again and swallowed hard, trying to think of what I should do. Then I remembered there were five other doctors on the plane with me. Oh god! What if they died?! What if I’m gonna die? I looked around and saw a detached seatbelt lying next to me. I reached over as far as I could, grabbed it, and began banging it against the wing with enough energy that my body allowed me. As I did, in a far distance, I started to hear someone screaming repetitively. This gave me a sign that someone was okay. I continued banging the seatbelt louder on the plane hoping someone would find me, but I felt my energy slowly wearing out. Finally, coming close to me were Meredith, Cristina, and Mark. I let out a sigh of relief; I don’t think I could have been any happier to see Mark.

            “Oh god! Lexie.” Meredith cried out as she ran up to me. Mark began trying to push the airplane wing off me.

            “C’mon guys, give me some help here.” Meredith and Cristina tried to help, but the damn thing didn’t move an inch. Mark pushed some of the dirt away from me and sat next to me.

            “Mark…” I softly said with a smile; blood running out of my mouth. He cupped my cheek and smiled back,

            “Lex, we’ll get you out of here. I promise.” He got back up and began talking to Cristina.

            “You need to pop my shoulder back.” She said trying to act tough, like always. Mark placed his hand on her shoulder and right as he was about to pop it back into place, Cristina let out a “wait” and took a deep breath.

            “Okay, okay! I’m ready.” She nodded, closing her eyes, and let out a loud scream as Mark shoved it back into place.

            “Okay. I’m okay.” Cristina said with a soft sniffle acting as if nothing had even happened to her arm.

            “I gotta find Derek.” Meredith said in which Cristina nodded and told her how she and Mark were gonna take care of me.

            “Okay, let’s try this again.” Mark positioned his hands on the wing again and began pushing, letting out a loud groan as the wing began to budge some.

            “M-Mark…” I moaned softly as I felt this heavy pressure on me being released. Cristina stood next to him and began pushing with one arm. Mark stepped back, but quickly put his hands back on and pushed again. The wing flipped over and it made a loud THUD sound; the damned thing was no longer crushing me. I started to breathe quickly as if I were under water and were holding my breath for a long time. I tried to sit up, but as I did, I felt a sharp pain around my left hip. My eyes wandered from Mark down to my leg and I noticed a huge gaping wound on my left leg. Then it wandered back up to where the pain was on my hip and there stuck out a sharp looking piece of the plane.

            “Shit!” Mark said loudly as he sat next to me, gently pulled me close to him, and held me close.

            “You’re gonna be okay, Lex.” He comforted me. I looked up at him as my head laid on his lap.