Part 8: Athens

Athens, 300 years ago

Reader's POV

"You know how I feel, don't you?" the man smiled softly, caressing your cheek.

"I think so." You said, smiling up at him.

The warm sun blazed in the sky as another beautiful day rolled passed. Many years ago, this place was one of fear. Anger and resentment still lingered in the air; a memory of all times long past. You both stood amongst the large pillars of stone, hidden away in a small bubble of your own.

"Please say yes." He said, cerulean eyes gleaming in the sunshine.

"Yes." You said, smiling again.

The man leaned in, pushing a stray strand of hair behind your ear. A ring gleamed on your hand as you placed it on his chest, pulling him in closer. Brushing your lips against his sent a rush of adrenaline through your body, cementing you into this moment. He connected his forehead with yours, peace coming over his pale features.

"Please, never leave me again." He whispered.

"I promise."

"Y/N? Y/N, are you awake? You can't sleep all day; we have a job to do." A voice rang through your bedroom, waking you from a deep sleep. You laid there, reveling in the passing moment.

"I mean it, Y/N. It's time to get up." The voice called again.

"I'm up, Ajak." You mumbled out, yawning as you threw the covers back. The door cracked open slowly, illuminating the dark room with soft light. You blinked, letting your eyes adjust.

"Late night?" the woman asked, making her way over to your bed.

"The revelry never seems to end here." You smiled sleepily. "These Athenians really know how to party."

"They enjoy your performances." Ajak stated in a matter-of-fact tone.

"It would seem so, yes." You were more awake now, slowly moving about the room as you began to ready yourself for the evening. "Did I really sleep all day?"

"The sun hasn't begun to set yet so, no." She smiled, almost stifling a laugh. You groaned, running a hand across your tired eyes. This has been going on for months now. Your arrival in Athens had been less than pleasant. The Athenians had not taken kindly to new, otherworldly people. With a little persuasion and the fact that Thena had single handedly taken out a small hoard of Deviants by herself had helped bring them around. Deviants still roamed the area, but it was much safer now. The people of the city were beginning to rebuild, their numbers and spirits stronger than ever. There was even talk of building something called the Parthenon in Thena's honor. Ajak was to meet with a man named Pericles next week to discuss the idea further.

"Have you given any thought to what I asked you about Sprite?" Ajak asked, taking a seat on the bed.

Sprite had always been like your little sister, even if she was the same age as you. She had been the last person to introduce herself when you first arrived on this planet. She had been nervous, thinking everyone would judge her or be confused by her appearance. You had taken an immediate liking to the girl; you knew she would need a friend here. That being said, she had still always been more of a loner. She would join in, sure but ultimately you knew she preferred to be in her own company. That's why when Ajak asked if you would want to include Sprite in your evening performances, you were a bit confused. Sprite had her own time to shine, and she liked it that way. She painted beautiful pictures for the people of Athens, spinning stories and creating the mythos surrounding you all. She wasn't concerned about your music.