8) Prophecies and Curses

Garfield threw his clothes into his duffel bag. He knew if he thought about what he was doing he might start questioning his decision.

He knew he was being selfish, leaving the team, but he needed to get away. He wanted to live a normal life, away from the glory of being a Titan.

He just wanted to be a regular teenager. Someone knocked on his door.

"What?" he asked. So far Starfire, Bumble Bee, and Nightwing had tried talking him out of what he was doing.

"It's Raven," a pang of guilt shot up Garfield's spine. "Can I come in?"

"If you want," Garfield replied. He continued to throw clothes into the bag.

"So you're leaving," he jumped at the sound of Raven's voice so close to him.

"Yeah," he nodded angrily. "You going to try and stop me?"

"That would be pointless," Raven's voice was dull. She felt like her heart had been ripped from her chest.

It was all she could do to keep from begging him to stay. "You're going to leave whether we want you to or not."

"You don't sound all that upset about it," Garfield realized that he was disappointed by this.

"What I think is pointless," Raven struggled to keep her voice steady. "If you feel that you need to leave, then you should."

"No tears shed from you I suppose?" Garfield glared at her. Raven turned away.

"As I already said..." Garfield stood up and grabbed her arms.

"Yeah," he scoffed. "I heard you the first time. You didn't answer my question."

"It won't make you stay," Raven replied, fighting back tears.

"Because you're going to tell me that you're glad I'm going," Garfield laughed bitterly. "You sure know how to send mixed messages Raven. When you gave me that rose I thought it meant you liked me." He shook his head. "Guess I got that completely wrong."

"It doesn't matter what my feelings for you may be," Raven hoped that he didn't hear her choke. "You're going to leave no matter what I say."

"I guess you're right," Garfield scowled. "So then why are you here?"

"To say goodbye," Raven sighed. "Goodbye, and good luck." She took his hand, and pressed something into it.

When Garfield looked it was the penny he had given to her before she had become the portal. He sighed.

"I'm being a jerk," he concluded. "Aren't I?"

"Just a bit," Raven confirmed. Garfield groaned.

"I'm sorry Raven," he sighed. "I'm just so mixed up right now. I don't know where I'm at. Which is why I need to get out. I need to figure out who I am. Do you understand?"

"I think so," Raven replied, looking down.

"Don't think for a second that this is easy for me," Garfield sighed. "I'm going to miss you all a lot."

"We're going to miss you too," Raven's voice broke. "More than you know." Garfield pulled her towards him, and pressed his forehead against hers.

"There's something I can do to help you," Raven whispered before it was too late.

"What do you mean?" Garfield asked her.

"I can view glimpses of your future. Maybe that will help you figure out who you are and where your destiny lies."

"Ok," he decided, "I have nothing to lose."

Raven took the hand of the one she loved and led him to her room. He sat on her bed while she hurried to her bookshelf to get her spell book.