CHAPTER SIXTEEN ∆ A MATTER OF THE HEART

CHAPTER SIXTEEN • A MATTER OF THE HEART

∆∆∆

taking in a deep breath, shirabu closed his eyes. morning. it was early in the morning, and yet he was thinking of nothing but kana. ever since he had acknowledged his feelings for the girl, he had been thinking of how to get closer to her in the most natural way possible.

it wasn't that they weren't close. they were. they still are. but what he was thinking about is that... how much closer should they be, if he wanted to hint to her that he wanted something more than friendship? unknowingly, he heaved out yet another sigh.

"good morning, kenjiro," he almost flinched, hearing the very familiar voice of the red haired female.

he could feel electricity run through his veins, as he recalled the feeling of her breath against his ear. he almost wanted to grasp his chest, wanting to scold it for beating so loudly when she barely talked to him.

"what's gotten you so jumpy? are you okay? are you sick?" kana asked, using her hand to feel his forehead which then made him blush.

"i am fine?!" he exclaimed, surprising the female.

"are you really...? you're a bit warm. did you sleep well?" she replied, her brows furrowing in concern. "why are you mad?"

she had been eyeing him since she entered the class, but chose not to talk to him first thing in the morning. after all, he looked confused and upset at the same time. had someone pissed him off so early in the morning? she didn't want to add to the stress he was already feeling. however, she couldn't help but feel worried— he was her best friend after all.

"i am not mad. at all. just a bit surprised. you didn't have to come so close," shirabu replied, clearing his throat awkwardly a couple of seconds after.

he then started fidgeting with his mechanical pencil, making the girl think that he was actually overthinking something. normally, shirabu kenjiro would look calm in her eyes, as if nothing— not even a storm— could bother his being. what was causing her best friend to be so anxious? was he willing to tell her why, too?

"i'm sorry," kana apologized, a tad bit hurt about being told that she came a bit too close. funnily, it reminded her of icarus who flew too close to the sun— in which she shook her head to.

why does her mind function during moments like these, but end up being blank when she need it the most? it wasn't like she had a fight with shirabu! there wasn't anything that she should overthink about their friendship.

"no, don't apologize."

∆∆∆

tendou satori
active now •

kana
nii.

satori
WHAT DID YOU CALL
ME? CAN YOU REPEAT
IT? I WILL HAVE MY
PARENTS SIGN ADOPTION
PAPERS RIGHT NOW.

kana
DD:

kana
did someone upset
kenjiro today? he seemed
kind of upset and confused
for some reason. he wouldn't
tell me if there's something
wrong. i'm worried.

satori
what, why? i didn't talk
to him today yet. not even
on our way to the gyms.
i'll talk to him later, if that's
what you want. is it bothering
you?

kana
noooo, you don't have to.
but i'm just worried. you
can talk to him but don't
tell him it was me who asked.
maybe he is hiding something
from me.

satori
i'll talk to him later.

kana
thank you!!

∆∆∆

as the teacher finally comes in, everyone stood up and greeted— as per instructed by their class representative. kana's eyes kept drifting towards shirabu, her brows furrowed in worry. is something bothering him that he wouldn't tell her? or perhaps, is she a part of his problems, that's why he wouldn't tell her anything? she didn't want to jump to conclusions.

"kenjiro," she whispered, trying to earn the attention of the male. slowly, as the teacher started giving out a lecture, shirabu quietly turned his attention towards the female.

"what?" he asked, his cheeks a bit tinted with a shade of pink— giving her the impression that he was actually sick and trying to stay strong throughout the class.

"you look quite sick, are you really alright? do you have a fever?" she asked, full of worry, but he shook his head.

"it's more of a matter of the heart than of the physical sickness."

kana blinked twice, quite stunned about what she just heard. what did he even mean?

"the what?"

"nothing. listen to the teacher, we'll get scolded if you're too loud."

and so, left confused, kana tilted her head to the side and went along her day in hopes of finding the right answers through tendou satori later in the day.