35

Nahamani watched Michael and Azaliah look over the trainers in the field, she had been for a time and she was waiting for the perfect opportunity to speak to Azaliah about the announcement earlier. The announcement she wasn't completely honest about. Only she knew that when God made her that promise, he had only mentioned he will send a weapon not a weapon wielder. Her confusion and horror when she saw Azaliah lying on the floor that day was enormous. All of a sudden, she just wanted to protect her instead of throwing her into battle. Azaliah looked nothing like a warrior and even till now, the thought that maybe the maker made a mistake enveloped her mind.

As she stared, Michael turned his eyes to her direction and gave a small nod, a sign he had gotten through to her. She sighed in relief and nodded back waiting for Michael to excuse himself. After a while, he did and slowly Nahamani walked over to where her warden stood and came close to her.

"Azaliah". She called. Her voice came out more silently than she had originally planned but Azaliah could still hear her. She turned and smiled at Nahamani. How could someone be so innocent?

"Mother, did you really say I can watch the tournament?" She asked. Nahamani let out a small smile.

"Yes I did". She replied. Azaliah smiled at her.

"Thank you. Even though I know you said it to get my mind of what's ahead, thank you". Those words wiped the smile away from Nahamani's lips and Azaliah was quick to notice
.
"Shouldn't I be the one to be afraid?" She asked in an amusing tone. Nahamani however did not share her humor.

"We all need to be afraid". She said and grabbed the young angel by the shoulders. "Why were you always going to watch Lucifer in that temple?"

Azaliah was taken aback by the question and she shook her head, waiting for a reasonable answer to drop into her head.

"Uh...I just wanted to". She said. Nahamani frowned.

"Are you...Are you drawn to him?" She asked. Azaliah's eyes widened in shock.

"No mother! I just...Nothing ever happens here so it keeps me busy". She finally explained.

"Are you saying heaven is boring?"

"NO! I am just saying I don't feel fulfilled here. I mean, I feel like something is missing and it isn't here". She said. Nahamani stared at her for a while then sighed.

"You're only saying this because of the prophesy".

"I am? No one else feels this way?" Azaliah asked curiously.

"The thing is... The angels created for special tasks always feel unfulfilled when they are not at the center of their destiny. Michael for example, is an archangel of war and since no major war has taken place in heaven for over a million years, he's bored like you".

Azaliah nodded. No wonder she felt a bond with the never smiling angel.

"It happens. But then patience is very key, if you truly want to fulfill your task then you must learn what needs to be learnt in a place of waiting like this one".

"It's hard". Azaliah confessed.

"I know".

"And the mission is harder".
"I know". Nahamani said with a sigh. She dragged Azaliah closer to her and patted her head lovingly.

"Still, God wouldn't create you if he didn't know you could defeat him".

She said. Azaliah shook her head.

"But...I'm weak. I don't look like a warrior and I have never ever held a weapon in my life".

Nahamani just patted her head in response because she had no idea how to respond to that.
***
FLASHBACK 5
"I'LL END YOU!!!!!YOU HEAR ME?! FOR THIS HUMILATION, I WILL END YOU. YOU WILL REGRET THE DAY YOU DID THIS. YOU THINK YOU ARE SO SPECIAL, YOU'RE NOT. I CAN TAKE YOUR PLACE, I WILL TAKE YOUR PLACE AND THEN I WILL MAKE A MOCKERY OF THIS CREATURE YOU HAVE PLACED HERE TO REPLACE ME!!!!!"

"Master Lucifer please calm down". Some angels tried to grab him lightly by the hand but then one stare at the former cherubs face made them change their mind.

"WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS?" Lucifer asked no one in particular, pointing at the innocent lookalike that stood afar off.

"No one compared to you master". An angel said with his head bowed. Lucifer growled.

"I am more powerful than he, how dare he own a kingdom and I am left to roam?"

"You will take it from him with ease my lord".

"There is nothing special about this thing. With a flick of my hand, I can end it".

"No question there sir..."

"STOP TALKING!!!" Lucifer turned to yell at the angel behind him, and he cowered in fear. His eyes were blood red and he directed that blazing gaze towards the lookalike. As always, he paid no attention to him and this made Lucifer more angry. He felt invincible, no he was invincible and he felt weak.

Two things that were beyond strange to him. He had lost a lot of things since he was thrown out of heaven and he had no idea how to get them back. Perhaps if he had his full power, he'll kill this creature.

His mind drifted to the sword that served as his companion for a while back in heaven. Where was it?

Surely such a weapon cannot be left in the hands of Michael, he wouldn't be that stupid. He knew that the sword must have been locked up in the heavens. As he thought of these things, he almost missed the creature lying under the shade of a tree. He stayed on the ground for a while then slowly he closed his eyes.
Lucifer was confused as were the others. What was he doing this time? Was he dead? Why was he not turning to golden dusts?

They saw the creature's chest rise and fall in a slow rhythm but other than that nothing. They watched patiently and nothing happened. Then for the first time that day, the sky darkened.

The angels mumbled and screamed in fear, Lucifer was equally afraid but he refused to show it. He clenched his fists in an attempt to hide it. The darkness wasn't as thick as the one they just came out from, there was still illumination thanks to the small white ball hanging on the air. This darkness was somehow peaceful and safe. It was beautiful.
Lucifer's jealousy increased.

Then a bright light enveloped the creature that was laying on the floor. The angels attention was drawn back to him immediately. Lucifer came closer to the light even when some of the angels stretched out their hands to stop him. He still had his hands clenched in case anything dangerous came out of that light. Then something happened. A pair of feet emerged from the light and he took a step back. He had no idea that his hands were already in front of his face, ready to attack.

By the time the light dispersed, another figure was standing in front of him. A completely different figure. Right in front of his eye stood a different version of the first creature and just like the first one, it stared right at Lucifer.

Lucifer dropped his fists and his mouth opened involuntarily.