Chapter Three

When I stopped believing in fairy tales, I ceased dreaming and fantasizing. Instead, I learned to work harder than everyone else so to achieve more, be better and reach the goals I set for myself - success, independence, and stability. Because I believed that control was the key to never being hurt again!

At age of 18, I left my hometown, my family, and everything safe and familiar to move to the big city. I was accepted to study journalism at the most prestigious university in the country - the University of Rathleigh, which was a great reward for all my efforts at school.

I got a scholarship for my excellent performance, but that was not enough. I needed money for accommodation and a normal existence. I needed a job.

However, finding a job in such a big city was much harder than I expected. I had applied for many different positions and had changed many different jobs before my third year at university, when the internships started.

And then everything changed.

***

I was looking out the side window of the car without actually seeing anything. My gaze was fixed on the past and my mind couldn't perceive the images before me because it was too busy reminiscing about the good moments in my life after coming here in Rathleigh, such as my meet with Angel Crawford, my boss and executive editor of Vision Magazine. And now a dear friend.

"It's funny how all started," I smiled to myself, and felt a wave of tranquility wash over me at the thought of Angel and all the good she brought into my life.

We were quite a few students in our course, and the internship positions were taken fast. I wasn't and hadn't ever been someone who vowed to the maxim "with procacity to progress," so I waited patiently. Most of my classmates chose the fashion magazines or the tabloids, which honestly didn't really appeal to me. So I got to choose between the literary magazines, newspapers, and Vision Magazine.

Vision Magazine caught my eye right away - it was something new and unknown for me, and it seemed arduous but in a thrilling way. It was a futuristic magazine that looked at the development of new technologies and innovations and the discovery of new and new ways to technologize people's lives.

Honestly, it sounded too difficult for someone who had never been into tech (like myself), and that's probably why no one else had picked it up, because why take a chance on something beyond your ability when you can just chill and write gossip or whatever. Yeah, but that wasn't me! Furthermore, difficult was equal to more efforts and it was thought-engaging which was perfect for me. And not to mention the pay, it was mind blowing!

The salary was pretty high for an internship, so I was really surprised that no one was interested in the position, even though it might be hard to do. I found it unbelievable how the others were missing this opportunity, because for me it was a golden chance, literally and figuratively, and I took it. And it turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made!

I went for an interview and the next day I got a phone call. I was hired as an assistant to the editor-in-chief of Vision Magazine, Angel Crawford. She was rather intimidating at the beginning, but within short span of time, I realized that it was all a facade, so as not to be underestimated.

In fact, she was an angel, just as her name suggested.

***

Back then I thought it would be something temporary, but Mrs. Crawford introduced me to a whole new world that captivated me to such an extent that now, almost 5 years later, I was an editor myself.

At the beginning was quite challenging. I was so unexperienced and knew so little about the subjects discussed in the magazine, that frankly, I wasn't sure I belonged there. But I had grown to like the challenges too much to give up - they kept me focused and engaged in things that were exciting, interesting and they distracted me from my usual thoughts, which I truly appreciated.

The Love LetterOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara