Cracks That Spread- XIV

There was a small intermission, you and Camilo leaning over the edge to see Antonio unable to move. What Mirabel said dawned back on you. It's a big day, he must be so worried. You turn to see that Camilo looked nervous as well, lightly biting his lip.

"I'm sure, I'm sure he'll be fine." The boy immediately blinks, looking down at you before smiling.

"Thank you Hermosa," He holds your hand ever so tightly, before motioning for you to look. Antonio had started walking, except he wasnt alone. Mirabel stood beside him. It was an adorable sight.

Once they had reached up, Senora Alma had recited a few more words, affirming that the child would use whatever powers he received for good of the village. On one hand, that felt a bit much. This encounter made you notice just how dependent some people were kn the madrigals. Even for moving donkeys, waiting a few weeks to heal wounds. They never seem to catch a break.

You let out a soft gasp as Antonio reached out to touch the doorknob, and it flickered to life. The glowing light becoming more tangible little by little. Camilo felt entranced by your wonder. How your mouth opened slightly and your eyes widened.

"Mine was more spectacular," He nonchalantly spoke, and you turn to him. Camilo had another soft look, but now it didn't change. His brows were lightly creased upwards, his eyes had more of a gentle Cresent. And his lips had formed a tender smile. Now you couldn't beat yourself up for falling in love too soon. For how could you not? How could you not look at him and fall so hard and fast?

"of, of course Mi Cielo." The nickname slipped from your mouth, and from his slight embrace you could feel Camilo stiffen up. Immediately you panic, thinking maybe you've said something wrong, but as you look up, his reddened face greeted you. He looked shocked. All before he crushed you into a deeper embrace.

"Joder estoy enamorada," Camilo quietly muttered, small enough that you had to strain to hear it. However, the phrase was not at all familiar to you. You'll need to ask someone about it later.

"let's go, Mi amor," Goodness, the both of you were smiling like idiots. He eased you up the stairs, following the steady flow of guests making their way up to Antonio's room.

"I never, I never got to see yours," You gently nudge Camilo and pointed at his room.

"I'll show you sometime,"A bird shot past your head, a surprised squeal leaving you while he shot it a dirty look."They behave like animals, honestly.."

That statement makes you giggle slightly. There's a dewy aroma that surrounded the two of you. And as you turn to Camilo, he brings you over to a large patch of grass.

"Tio Agustine! Play us something nice!" His hand settles on your waist, the other encasing your fingers perfectly. Some guests had turned at the voice of the trickster madrigal, wondering what antics he was up to now. It made your stomach squirm as they stared at the two of you with interest.

Agustine sends Camilo a thumbs up with a teasing expression. A slow, romantic melody rings out, the voices of people quieting down to whispers as you swayed with the male. He brought you closer to him, your chests pressed against each other. You leaned your head on his shoulder, closing your eyes. The warmth he enveloped you with was so comforting.

"Mi amor? Don't tell me you fell asleep?" Camilo chuckles, not losing sight of how your neck turned a bright colour. "ah, I guess not."

His hips move in a gentle rhythm and you follow suit. The music made you it's puppet while Camilo turned your limbs into putty, guiding you into a inescapable trance. It felt like years before abuela called for him, which made him apologetically pull away.

"Camilo! Family picture!"

"Care to join me, amor?" He pulls you forward, but at the last second you back away. The male understands and nods, giving you a small peck on the cheek before he poses dramatically in front of the camera. You're afraid that they will hear your rapid, beating heart. It thumps violently in your ears.

You advert your gaze from Camilo, before seeing a crestfallen girl off to the side. A realization hits you with a start, the fact that mirabel had been left behind. Her face a mixture of disappointment and sadness. She turns to leave, and you can't help but go after her.

As you trail after her, you an see she's forcing on a shaky smile, and as you inch closer you make out soft chants of- "you're fine, it's fine" over and over again. Mirabel looked to be caving in on herself. And it hurt to watch. The bright and happy girl who would act like she had not a single care in the world, crying and broken

You don't say anything, you can't. Instead choosing to wrap your arms around her. Mirabel flinces. Before turning round and sobbing on you. It's an ugly, brutal wail and resonated from her throat and you held her there, rubbing her back until she eventually quieted.

"s- sorr, sorry..." She murmered, still burrying herself on your shoulder. You still don't talk, drawing circles on her back. "this is, this is embarrassing."

Mirabel laughed unconvincingly, wiping her tears hurriedly and taking your hands in hers. "thank you y/n, I really appreciate-"

She doesn't get to finish before a loud "clack" resonated from below. As if the girl hadn't just had a breakdown she brings you over to examine the tile with her. You crouch down, holding it gently before a crack startles the two of you, and the tile falls, forcing a deep cut on your hand.

"Ah!"
"Are you okay y/n? Oh-" Mirabel frowns as you hold your hand to yourself. You mutter a "I'm fine," and she thankfully leaves you be as fissures spread into the walls, seeming to go after the candle. With Mirabel so focused on the growing rifts, the fact that your blood had been a strange colour of gold went unnoticed.

For a brief moment you saw it glow as well. Confusion bubbled in you but you leave it be for now, following Mirabel as she stood panicked, watching as the doors flickered dangerously.

Did you warn the wrong people?