Awkward Chatting- VI

"she's cute" Your face flushes at the comment of the girl Isabella, who regarded you with rather uninterested eyes. A small squeak slips past your lips as you look around the flowery room for a hiding place. Luisa is tall, you decided, scurrying over to cower behind her. A voice barated Isabella, while Luisa stiffened at you touch.

"are you okay?" she tall girl whispers gently. She hasn't turned around, giving you some privacy. You nodded timidly.

"Camilo! Just what are you doing?" a new voice piped up.

"I just want to say hi!"

"You called her 'hermosa' earlier," Isabella snickered. "what was that about?"

The conversation swallowed you, it became everything you heard and yet the words were slipping by too fast to make sense fo it all. Your breaths seem to quicken before you could hear a distinct hush.

"Guys! Quiet down! She's getting nervous." a figure appeared to your side, Dolores, you think. She smiles at you. She's pretty. The girl brings you closer to whisper, "I dont like loud places too, do you wanna introduce yourself to them? I promise they'll be nicer."

You nod reluctantly. And Camilo appears directly behind Dolores, shooting you a small grin.

"Hi y/n, hope I didn't scare you last time?" His sister gives him a dirty look while he takes your hand in his. "proper introduction? I'm Camilo."

"I know" it was a simple sentence that filtered your lips but he nodded all the same. Camilo looked enamored by every words you seem to say, holding onto it longer than he should.

"I'm Mirabel!"
"Isabella"
"Dolores," hers a little harder to catch.
"Luisa," Oh you felt a little bad to have her introduce herself three times in one night.
"And I'm Antonio!" your eyes widen at the small kid you didn't notice before. He's awfully cute, you think as you crouch down and smile.

"Hello," your voice is a nearly as small as Dolores'.

One collective thought entered the madrigals minds. You reminded them of a doll of some sorts. Your expressions subtle and controlled, you voice a fragile mutter. Luisa cleared her throat.

"Hey, if you dont mind me asking, what do your parents mean by 'difficult talking'?" You couldn't blame her for asking about it really. It was simply that you could recognize words when they were written. But when it came to piecing in together with sound it was a lot harder.

Luisa noticed how you struggled to explain, with you starting a sentence and ending it abruptly.

"it's alright, you don't explain-"
"hard, it's, it's hard to-" you fumble with the words but they seem to understand. The silence suffocated you again, perhaps even more than the chatter and conversation.

"So, Hermosa," at the nickname you jump and redden. It seemed to fuel Camilos resolve to unsettle you. "what kind of colors do you like?"

The question was so random, that you couldnt help but look at him with a bewildered face.

"I like..." you liked yellow, and belive me when you say you've tried like hell to say that word. "red"

Camilo nodded. He too was unsure what to do with that information. Actually he didn't mean to approach you at all. His body seemed to move on its own.

Isabella groaned.

"Are we only supposed to talk to you or-?" You only shake your head frantically making wild gestures to show it was perfectly fine to start talking. Luisa was still of to the side, while both Dolores and mirabel watched everything unfold intently. The little boy Antonio stood and listened with wide eyes.

"it's, it's, it's fine-"

"Dios mio y/n, you remind me of tio bruno, calm down." Isabella chuckles and yet no one really follows.

"Tio bruno doesn't act like y/n at all!" Camilo frowned defensively. What he remembered of his uncle was a towering man with a smile that often sent chills down his spine. Not at all like the soft spoken and shy girl he saw now.

"goodness niño Tonto! you're not even old enough to remember tio bruno- muttering odd man."

Did she indirectly call you odd? Well she isn't exactly wrong.

Camilo only huffs while she pulls Luisa and Dolores into a conversation. You notice the girl from before was off to the side. Except she started talking to the little boy, Antonio. You were fine watching them before said boy turned to you and pointed.

By instinct you hid behind Camilo this time, he wasn't as tall as Luisa, but he was still taller than you. Thank God for your height- it made it easy to not be noticed.

"ay, y/n," you name sounded nice when he spoke it. "Why're you so skittish? You remind me of a polita- or a conejito."

The words took some time before registering, and you look up at Camilo whose eyebrows were raised.

"I'm not, not an animal." your words of choice took him by surprise and he hurriedly flailed his hands in a panicked motion.

"I didn't mean it like that-"

"can we join?" the same tiny voice from before peeped from under Camilo, making you smile.

"okay," and with that Antonio told you all about his animal friends and his favorite things about them. Mirabel greeted her cousin who was sourly watching the exchange.

"it's not fair," he grumbled "I talked to her first. Plus, she's choosing favorites!"

"Oi, amigo," Mirabel jokingly elbowed him, "you wouldn't be complaining if you were her favorite-"

A knock sounded out and the door opened not too long after. Your father trailed in looking a little defeated but smiled nonetheless.

"it's time to go Chiquita." He's surprised by the disappointment on your face. "Hm? What up with that expression? You'll see them again tomorrow"

Your mother waved at you as you sighed, saying soft goodbyes to everyone in the room. Camilo seemed to wave harder than the rest, and his goodbyes echoed despite you not being there. And once the Door closed your dad explained the predicament you were in.

"y/n, listen. We don't think seniora Julieta can can heal your- if there's anything to heal." he corrects himself. You mother rubs your shoulders,waoting for your reaction. It wasn't much, you only blinked and nodded which made both your parents sigh.

It felt too serious, this situation. and it scared you. Your parents had always been optimistic, but even the senoras and their abuela looked grim.

And that marked the end of your dinner with the eventful madrigals.