«chapter nine: trust»

Start from the beginning

  "And I'm not staying in Gotham," I announce, causing confusion to fill the room.

  When I don't offer up a reason, Wally rubs his neck,"Umm... Bludhaven then?" Wally suggests sheepishly as he glances to Nightwing who I am currently trying to avoid any contact with at the moment.

  He hasn't said anything since we came back inside, standing next to Conner and Lily who seems to like the two of them a lot.

  "I'm not staying in Bludhaven either," I say and cross my arms. "No Gotham and no Bludhaven."

  If my friends were dumb and didn't know me, they might think it's because of Nightwing and I. Something petty and in our world, unavoidable. My excuse would be I don't want to run into him. But my friends are smart and they do know me.

  That very reason is why I glance out the window, waiting for them to shoot out more ideas. But it's quiet, their gazes watching me and I swear I might just be set on fire by the intensity.

"Won't," Artemis says, "or can't?"

  I don't say anything, which causes her to cuss under her breath as she realizes something the others haven't yet. I don't have to turn to know all of their eyes are now floating between us.

  "You can't. You can't," She pauses, waiting for me to stop her from saying it. When I don't, she continues, "because you are being targeted again."

  My body goes still as I muster up a poker face before I turn to her. My eyes meet hers before they flicker to everyone else then back to her.

  I don't say anything. The words, the lie gets trapped in my throat. I can't lie to them.

  I've disappeared without telling them what happened, I can't lie to them about it either. And I think they would be able to tell at this point. I'm emotionally and physically exhausted.

  After a few heartbeats of silence and then registering what she said, Nightwing uncrosses his arms and walks out of the room without saying anything, without so much a glancing to me.

  The action sends a painful pang through my chest as I watch him go before Wally mutters, "I've go it." And follows him.

  "Oh! Forager is also a target!" Forager says, happy we have something in common.

  Brion hushes him and Halo from saying anything as he watches the scene unfold.

  I look back to Conner, Artemis, and M'gann, them all not bothering to hide the hurt in their eyes. The pain of me not trusting them with this.

  "I just can't stay in Gotham or Bludhaven." Is all I say, because it's all I can say.

  M'gann nods, "You are always welcome here, Cat. Always."

  I nod and force a smile that I know they can see right through before Conner says, "Then it's settled. Why don't we try and move everyone in?"

  "Jake, Violet and Tara can come with me," Artemis says, "I can drop Jake off in Gotham."

  Conner nods in thanks before he looks to Forager and Brion, "Show Alex to his room?"

  Forager clicks his tongue and says, "Of course, Forgaer is excited for another roommate. Aren't you Brion?"

  Brion looks at Alex, and despite him seeming to have a rocky relationship with Dick, he says, "Ecstatic," His voice pure sarcasm.

  When everyone clears out, It's just Conner, M'gann, Lily and I.

  "Why don't you guys stay up here? We will be back soon. Just making sure they don't need help." M'gann smiles as Lily sits on the couch.

  I nod, but I see through the lie. No one needs help. She doesn't want us down there for a specific reason.