Chapter 7

—One Year Later—

Willow had no clue what to do or say. Neither did her partner.

This had to be some sort of sick prank... How could this happen...?

Well, they knew how. Beatrice had relayed that information to her from their past life as well.

There was no issue with two witches of the same gender wanting to have children. Casting a spell with both partner's blood and deciding a carrier was easy. Very few times did it fail.

The problem seemed to stem from whether or not it would work with Luz and Amity. Since Luz was a human that couldn't use magic. Not on earth, anyhow.

Still, they had pushed away that first failed attempt as far away as they could. It was a past life, it wasn't real. Sort of. Luz was still able to give her blood even if she couldn't contribute to the spell otherwise. It would work this time, surely.

It didn't work.

Now, Willow sat next to Amity, hugging her childhood friend tight as the fuchsia-haired witch continued to fail at pulling herself together. She hated how this was happening in public, and how people were staring at her. It only made how she was feeling worse by adding humiliation to the mix of awful. However, fate was not on her side. And neither were her emotions.

Her wife wasn't better off, not caring about how people looked at her as she held onto Camila and sobbed into her shoulder.

Camila couldn't help the tears that formed in her eyes at the pain her daughters were experiencing. From day one, even at the high risk that Amity and Luz could break up. Amity was Camila's daughter as well. No hesitation. Having only a couple years ago started declaring herself as a proud mother of three wonderful daughters, albeit, two who were adopted.

Vee stood stunned, still as a statue but pale and wide eyed. Knees trembling invisibly. How could this happen? She had heard of this stuff before, but never had she expected it to happen to her older sisters of all people. But there she was, forced to hear their devastation without a single clue how to react.

The combined pain of both Luz and Amity Noceda had everyone who knew them reeling. And unable to contain their emotions as well.

They had all made the mistake of being too optimistic, getting excited for Luz and Amity to start a family. Not acknowledging the potential failure of the attempt.

None of them expected the morning to start so unexpectedly terrible. Luz woken up by a frantic, meowing Ghost to be led to a bleeding and whimpering Amity in the bathroom. Who was soon after taken to the hospital to be given the horrible news.

Eda trembled as she tried to console Luz. As cynical and pessimistic as she was, not even she saw this coming. Even with the warning the past had given them.

Amity couldn't stop cursing herself. Why would she forget that? If she had just taken one moment to acknowledge the risk, she probably wouldn't be in so much pain. But it was too late for that.

Nobody said a word for the rest of the day after that. Luz and Amity eventually being given the space they needed.

—One Year Later—

Amity N.: Only two more? Are you sure you want to give up after that?

Luz nodded, bringing Amity to her chest gently and wrapping the pair in a warm embrace. A concerned frown pulling her features into a tight wince as she did so.

Luz N.: Absolutely. Ami, I don't want you to have to go through that so many times if it just isn't going to happen. Twice was enough, I'd never forgive myself if you had to endure that again when you didn't need to.

Luz's hand laid itself gently on her wife's cheek. The pair looking each other in the eyes. Amity's flat stomach pressed against Luz, causing light nausea to bubble up for both women.

Amity couldn't argue. Even after a year had passed, it was still hard to think about what had happened that morning. That horrible morning.

Now the decision was made.

Three tries, counting the one that failed already. After that, they were done. Regardless of the results.

Two more tries, then it was all over.

Amity tightened her grip on her partner.

Amity N.: Yeah. I guess we'll just have to make sure we get everything right these last two times.

Luz laughed faintly at the light joke and nodded in agreement.

Luz N.: Yeah. Who knows? Maybe we just botched the wording or something.

Amity raised an eyebrow.

Amity N.: There aren't any words in that spell.

Luz shrugged.

Luz N.: I know, I just couldn't bring myself to say "air-circles".

Amity rolled her eyes as a laugh emerged.

Amity N.: You're impossible, you know that?

Luz hummed, bringing them closer so their lips lightly touched one another a couple times. Teasing each other, making excitement rise in their rushing hearts. Only amplified when the pair spoke, warm air adding to the heated atmosphere between the couple.

Luz N.: Yeah, I know. But you love me anyhow.~

Amity smiled, beginning to tilt her head and close her eyes in anticipation for the kiss. Luz beating her to it with a warm, wet peck. Pulling away as instantly as it happened.

Amity N.: Yes, I do.

This time, Amity leaned in first, the kiss just as enjoyable and special as all the other ones they had shared. From their first kiss on their third official date, to the kiss they shared on their wedding day when they were married. Luz pulled away briefly. Leaning down as she peppered Amity's cheek with kisses. Then her jaw. Then her neck. Then,

A light moan escaped the witch's lips. Going slightly limp and helplessly leaning into Luz's gesture.

Luz N.: You want to?

Amity replied softly.

Amity N.: Please.

—One Month Later—

Amity, despite the excitement she wanted to express, kept herself cool. Aside from the shaking. Holding Ghost on her lap as she tried to keep herself grounded and not let her hopes reach too high.

So far so good.

Gestation for witches was only five months. So the fact that they made it this far was a fairly good sign.

Then again, the previous failure happened at month three.

The first failure, a while before she and Luz were ambushed by Belos' guards, happened month two.

Amity tried to stay positive despite that information continuously worming it's way into her conscience.

So far so good.