Chapter 13: A Trip In The City

Start from the beginning

However, you quickly realized you didn't know where to even buy Tunnelers' tickets. Probably at the Tunneler's Stadium. You decided to head there. Shane said that his appointment would take about an hour and a half, so you bet that you would have enough time to run and grab tickets before his appointment is over. You stood up to head to the stadium, when you realized you had no clue where it was. Even though you had grown up in the city, you had never been interested in gridball, plus your insane Joja Co. hours had made it impossible to have a life outside of work.

You decided to ask the secretary. You walked up to her desk and waited until she turned to look at you. "Hello, love. What can I help you with?"

"Uh, is the Tunneler's Stadium around here?" You asked, trying not to draw too much attention to your random question.

"Oh!" She sounded slightly surprised, but the smile never left her face. "It's just a couple blocks south of here."

"Okay, great." You started to get a little excited. "And the appointments here last about an hour and a half, right?"

"Yes, of course." She said warmly. "They usually run a little long, as well. You'll have plenty of time to get there and back before your husband's appointment is over."

Husband. The word struck you like a hammer. "Oh, uh..." You laughed, embarrassed. "He's not m-" You were cut off by the reception phone ringing.

She looked at you apologetically and took the call. "Sorry." She mouthed and waved you off.

You headed back the way you had come in and left to find the stadium. It was surprisingly easy to find, standing out above the tall city buildings with neon green accents decorating it. It took up an entire city block and you had to take a moment to stare at it in awe. However, you wanted to be sure to get back before Shane, so you hurried up to the Stadium gates and approached a small box office window. "Hi." You waved.

An elderly man sat behind the counter. "What can I do for you today, young lady?"

"I was hoping to purchase tickets to the soonest game, do you know when that would be?"

"Ah, yes." He smiled and grabbed a colorful, laminated sheet of paper sitting next to him. He set it on the counter between you and you realized it was a game calendar-schedule thingy. You didn't understand sports. He grabbed a capped pen and started pointing out dates on it. "The soonest game would be tomorrow night, but if that is too soon, the next would be two weeks from tomorrow. Next week is a buy."

You didn't fully understand all that he had said, but you were pretty sure that there was a game on Shane's birthday. "So, are tickets available for the game tomorrow?"

"Of course," the man kindly smiled. "Where are you looking to sit?" He flipped over the calendar to reveal an even more colorful seating chart for the stadium.

"Uh..." You hesitated, not knowing where the best place to sit was. "Are there front row seats available?"

He looked at you slightly surprised, "Oh, yes!" He showed you your options, and there were only two front-row seats together.

"I'll take those." You said as he passed over them.

"Perfect, will you be wanting both?" He asked and you nodded your reply, fishing out your wallet. He entered something into the cash register next to him. "Your total will be 1280 Gold, then."

You were sure your jaw dropped. You had no idea that gridball games cost so much to attend. However, you knew it would make Shane's day and that would be worth the price. You handed over the money, and in return, he gave you the tickets. You shoved them into your pack and hustled back to the counseling office.

Your entire trip had lasted a little over an hour, so you returned to the waiting area with plenty of time to spare and a giant grin on your face. You knew, so well, that this would make Shane's day. You decided that you would give them to him that night when you got back to Pelican Town.

The receptionist smiled at you when she saw your happy expression. Your mood dimmed when you realized she probably didn't come into contact with a lot of happy people at work. You thought about it for a moment before the idea to text Marnie your plan for his birthday set in.

You whipped out your tiny little phone and texted her quickly, yet remaining grammatically correct:

Y/N: Hey, I finally got a birthday present for Shane. Do you think he'd like front row tickets to the Tunneler's game tomorrow night?

Marnie: Oh yoba, (Y/N)! He would absolutely love that. What time is the game? He does work tomorrow, sadly.

You hadn't even checked the game time. You pulled out one of the tickets to check, and luckily a bold print upon the top line read: Zuzu City Tunnelers - Spring 20 7:00 PM. You replied to Shane's aunt:

Y/N: Oh, I'm pretty sure it's at seven tomorrow night.

Marnie: That will be perfect. You're such a good friend to him, (Y/N).

✏️ A/N: Hey guys! I hope you enjoy this chapter! Will Shane like the tickets? How will his appointment go? Thank you so much for reading! Next week will debut Chapter 14: A Hint of Anticipation on Sunday, February 14, 2022. Thanks again! xoxo Kira