13. Selections and rejections😶

Writer's pov:

The ICT camp was tensed as the selections were gonna take place soon. It was the most difficult part. There were so many deserving players but the slots remained constant. ELEVEN.

Virat had gone to the meeting along with the coaches and selectors. The main part is played by the selectors while the captain and coaches will be present for namesake.

The meeting was done and all the players were called to the team room to announce the playing eleven for the first match.

Chetan Sharma, the chief selector of BCCI had gone up onto the stage with a paper and a mic in each of his hands. There was dead silence in the room.

'Good morning guys. Before announcing the playing eleven, I just want to clarify this again, just because your name isn't there in the list doesn't mean you are any less or you won't be given chances in the future. This is the list of the playing eleven only for the first test. Nothing that you guys don't know, but I just wanted to mention it again. Let's get started now:

1.Rohit sharma

2. Shikhar Dhawan

3. Virat Kohli (c)

4. Rishabh pant (wk)

5. K.l. Rahul

6. Ravindra jadeja

7. Ravichandran Ashwin

8. Shardul thakur

9. Mohammad Siraj

10. Jasprit bumrah

11.  Yuzvendra chahal

I wish you all the very best. '  Chetan Sharma spoke and got down from the stage.

There were mixed emotions in the camp. While some where happy to have got place in the playing eleven, some were dejected. The meeting has soon ended and the players returned back to their room.

Among all those dejected faces, the one who was hurt the most was Shreyas Iyer who scored 105 and 65 runs to become the first Indian to hit a hundred and a fifty on his Test debut, the previous test series India has played.

Krithi's POV:

I was walking back to my room and that's when I saw Shreyas wiping his eyes, about to enter his room.

'Hey what happened?' I asked him.

'Nothing.' he said faking a smile.

'Oh, yeah, why will you share with me. I am just a stranger.'

'Nothing like that.'

'So I am not a stranger?'

'Ofcourse not. We are partners.'

Dang! For a minute it felt like he meant partners as in a relation.

'in Mission:RohiRat. So we are friends.' he continued.

'And as far as I know, friends share sorrows with each other. Remember when I spoke about my misunderstanding with Virushka.' I said.

'Why do you think it is?' he asked referring to him crying.

'Is it because of the selections?' I asked and he nodded his head.

'Who cries because of the selections?'

'Yeah, I have come here only to wear Indian jersey and not to play for my country. So selections don't matter. And I am just a fool.' he said sarcastically.

'Hey, sorry. That's not what I meant.' I said.

Footsteps were heard from the stairs.

'I am going in.' he said.