5│DANGER ZONE

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ sᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴡɪᴄᴋᴇᴅ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ ᴅᴀɴɢᴇʀ ᴢᴏɴᴇ ꒱

HIGHWAY TO THE
DANGER ZONE
 ❞

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

They emerged into a room filled with cylinders that contained the same green liquid from the Chinese take out boxes. They walked between the main isle as Dustin's gaze fell on a golf cart-like vehicle that waited patiently off to the side. He made a beeline for it and began to look for the keys.

Erica watched him skeptically. "Do you even know how to drive?"

"How hard can it be? Max did it." He hopped into the driver's seat.

Max. Jessie hadn't thought about her in hours. A part of her wondered if she'd ever see the red-haired girl again. To her surprise, her chest squeezed slightly at the thought.

"You seriously thought they'd just leave keys in there?" the younger girl asked.

"There's gotta be a spare."

As he began to search around, Erica moved away towards the other end of the room before she called back: "hey, Dustin?"

"Yeah?"

"How big did you say that Demogorgon was?"

"Big." He was distracted as he searched through his toolkit. "Nine feet or so. Why?"

Erica didn't answer but walked away from the cage. Dustin located a screwdriver and began to open the locked cabinet while Jessie examined the wheeled vehicle. Her hands slid into her pockets and her fingers brushed against the cool silver of her pistol. She winced.

Why hadn't she thought to use that earlier?

Oh, right: she'd been more worried about passing out in front of Russian Commies. Still, it might be useful for their escape. . . which made her think of the other weapon she carried with her.

"Found 'em!" Dustin exclaimed happily. He turned and looked for the other girl. "Erica?" She appeared suddenly with an electric prod in her hands. It buzzed and crackled as she switched it on, causing the boy to jump away. "What the hell is that?"

"A deadly weapon. Could be useful."

"For what?"

"What do you think? Taking down Commies, saving your friends."

"Thought you were more realistic than that," he commented as they got in the car. "We don't even know where they are and even if we did, there are a million guards up there with weapons way deadlier than that. The best thing we can do for them is to get out of here and find help. Our chance of surviving— and theirs— rises substantially. Just trust me on this. Please?"

Because there were only two seats in the car, Jessie let the younger girl take the passenger's place while she stood propped on the edge of the vehicle. One of her hands grasped the metal support pole as she leaned forward while her other hand reached between the pair. She ducked inside the car to avoid the roof as her fingers uncurled to reveal a lumpy, slightly cylindrical object. "If it's deadly weapons you want, I've got them in spades."

Dustin glanced away from the road for a second to look at what she'd produced before he returned his gaze. "What's that?"

"A grenade."

If it had been less cumbersome, the mini car would have swerved into the wall. Instead, all it did was shake a little as the boy turned the wheel suddenly in shock. His voice rose to cracking-level as one of his hands swatted at hers. "Holy shit! What the hell? Why are you carrying that around? Are you trying to get us all killed? Holy shit! Shit, shit"