5│THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ sᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴡɪᴄᴋᴇᴅ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀʏ ʏᴏᴜ
ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ᴍᴇ ғᴇᴇʟ ꒱

I LIKE THE FEELIN'
YOU'RE GIVIN' ME
 ❞

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

"So, who were you pissed at earlier?" Jessie asked as they approached the arcade a little while later.

"Lucas," Max answered simply. "All the boys, really. Have they always been like this?"

The brunette shrugged. "Sure. You shouldn't try so hard, you know. They're not that great to be around." She gave the redhead an uncharacteristically charming smile. "I think that girls are much better to hang out with."

The other girl gave an amused chuckle as she pushed open the doors. "I have to agree with you there. Come on."

Curiously, Jessie followed her inside the dark space. She'd never been inside the arcade before as she never had quarters to spare but had heard much about it from the boys. Almost immediately, her ears were assaulted by the beeps and repetitive music of the consoles that stood in rows around the room. She winced at the noise and quickly placed her headphones over her ears, sighing with relief when the sound became muted.

Despite the fact that it was approaching four in the afternoon and quite bright outside, the lights indoors had been dimmed until only the neon illuminations of screens and decorative signage on the walls lit up the area. The floor was mostly clean with crumbs of arcade food gathered around the most popular games.

She startled when she felt a hand grasp hers which was followed by a tug on her arm. Max rolled her eyes at the brunette's hesitation. "Let's go!"

Jessie allowed the girl to pull her farther into the unfamiliar space to one of the back consoles that had the least amount of people nearby. She grimaced slightly at the sight of sticky buttons that were used to play the game before she turned an expectant gaze on the redhead. "Alright, what do we do?"

"Don't tell me you've never been to the arcade before!"

Flatly, she responded, "I've never been to the arcade before." At the redhead's rather shocked look, she shrugged again. "You don't have to look so surprised. I'm sure lots of people in Hawkins have never been to an arcade. You'll just have to show me how to play."

"Wow," Max said after a moment. "I thought with your friends— sorry, acquaintances—being who they were you'd have at least one top score on a game."

"Nope," Jessie replied easily.

"Alright. Well, do you have any quarters?"

"Probably, hold on." Despite her misgivings about wasting money on such an unnecessary activity, she'd already shared so many secrets that she was sure if she added another one to the list, Max would be gone for good. So, she rummaged around in her many pockets instead of saying that she really couldn't afford to spend more than fifty cents on a game.

Thankfully, she produced the right amount of money and slid the coins into the indicated slot. The screen lit up to reveal rows and dead ends that formed a maze with gold coins lining the paths. In the center of the screen, multi-colored ghosts began to float out of the box to become obstacles in the game.

"Right," Max began. "In Pac-Man, you're supposed to collect the coins with the yellow circle there while you avoid the ghosts. If you collect everything you get a perfect score."