Chapter 8: First Day at School

Early the next day, Briar, Sereia, and Grim are fast asleep in their bed. They continue to sleep. Grim slightly mews in his sleep as he turns from left and right, trying to clear away from the sunlight.

Suddenly, the skinny ghost appears before them with a chuckle, "Hee hee hee..." and says, "Aren't you three supposed to be off cleaning the school today?"

Grim grumbles in his sleep, "Mmmm... Nngh... Five more minutes, Ma..."

Just then, the slightly round ghost says, "Go ahead, sleep the day away. And you might not eeever hafta wake up again."

"Just like us!" The chubby ghost says, and laughs, "Ah ha ha ha ha ha!"

Recognizing the voices Grim opens his eyes and to his shock, he sees the three ghosts.

He cries out as he jumps in fright. He then falls onto the bed.

Grim screams, "Myah?! The ghosts are back!"

He quickly rubs on top of Briar and calls out, "Hey Briar, Sereia, up and at'em!"

Briar groans and yawns, "Okay, what's wrong?"

"What's going on?" Sereia tiredly asks. Then she lets out a yawn.

Grim screams, "The ghosts are back! They're out to get us!"

"What?" Briar asks, tiredly.

Briar and Sereia wake up, sit up, and look with tired eyes. When they see the ghosts, they're both screaming in fright and hug each other.

Sereia screams in fright, "The ghosts are back!"

"What are you three doing back here?!" Briar exclaims in shock.

The skinny ghost says, "So I hear you'll be living here from now on? Hope you like pranks as much as we do! Hya ha ha!"

"We gotta get rid of those things for good!" Grim says, angrily.

"Don't worry, we're going to be roommates now, so we have to give you a proper hello," The skinny ghost says.

Then the slightly chubby one says, "And hope we get to have some fun."

"We really hope you like pranks," The large ghost says.

To the girls, and Grim's surprise, the ghosts seem a little more calmer.

"So, uh, what are you guy's names?" Briar asks, confused.

The skinny ghost answers, "That's right. We haven't been properly introduced. John."

The slightly round ghost answers, "I'm Patrick.

The larger ghost answers, "I'm Albert."

"Uh hi, it's nice to meet you," Briar says.

Grim shouts in anger, "Why are you saying hello?! Those ghosts are trying to attack us again!"

Briar calmly says, "Calm down, Grim. They seem to be more friendly now."

"She's right..." Sereia calmly says.

"And besides, it appears that we're going to be roommates for now on," Briar says.

The skinny ghost, John says, "She's right. We've been living here since we made this place our home."

Grim gumbles and says in frustration, "Fine..."

Briar yawns and says, "Still, we should get ready so we can head to work."

Just then, they hear footsteps coming towards the room. The door opens and the headmage, Dire Crowley, enters the room.

He says with a smile, "Good morning, Briar. Did you sleep well?"

"I was sleeping fine, until we got woken up by ghosts! I'm so tired from all that cleaning we had to do in this ramshackle place," Grim complains.

Then asks, "Exactly how ramshackle IS this dorm?"

"I slept fine," Briar says.

"Me too," Sereia says.

Crowley asks, "So, how have you been doing?"

"Well, I admit, everything was a bit overwhelming to process at first. Waking to find myself in a coffin, and to a flaming cat like Grim. Finding myself in a different world full of magic and to an all boys school, and having run in with ghosts. It feels like a lot, but glad to have met Grim and Sereia."

"I'm glad to," Sereia happily says.

Crowley happily says, "I am delighted to hear that you've adjusted so well, despite being sent to another world!"

Then says, "Now, speaking of moving on, let us discuss your assignment for today."

"Okay. I'll go get dressed and I'll meet you downstairs," Briar says.

Sometime later, Briar and Sereia have gotten dressed and are downstairs with Grim and Crowley. Briar is wearing a gray t-shirt, black shorts with gray lines on the side, black socks, and black sneakers.

Crowley says, "Your job today is to clean the campus. That said, the campus is vast, and without magic, it'd be quite a Herculean task to clean at all. Therefore, today I'll have you focus on the area spanning from the front gates to the library."

"Right," Briar says with a nod.

Then Crowley says, "Now Briar... I do expect that you'll keep an eye on Grim and Sereia, especially Grim, lest he caused another incident like yesterday."

"I understand. I'll try my best to keep them out of trouble," Briar says.

"Do not fail me. You may take your lunch in the cafeteria. I eagerly await the fruits of your labor,"

Crowley then leaves the lounge and closes the door.

Grim crosses his arms, "Hrmph. I ain't cleanin' nothin'!"

Then shouts, "I'm here to study magic so I can be blastin' off spells left and right! Like BAM! POW! FWOOM!"

Briar and Sereia giggle with smiles on their faces.

"I know cleaning may sound boring, but we agreed to clean in exchange for us staying here. We can go to the library after we finish cleaning," Briar says.

"Hrmph," Grim replies with a huff and crosses his arms.

"Come on, we better get going and get started," Briar says.

"Can we at least eat first? I'm hungry and I would like some breakfast," Grim asks.

Then Sereia says, "I have to agree. I'm kind of hungry."

"Sure. Let's go get something to eat and then we'll get to work," Briar says.

With that, Briar, Sereia, and Grim make sure to gather the things they need, which isn't much, and they leave the dorm to get to the school. They plan to have breakfast and they begin to work.