23. Surprise News

Clouded Distance

Chapter Twenty-Three

Surprise News

"Let's check the new version of your story, Kimi."

The young red-haired girl handed her papers shyly out to Hana. After sending the girl a reassuring smile, Hana proceeded to read the slightly altered version of Kimi's story.

Classes had just finished, and it was one of the days where Hana would help out at the writing club. She had found herself strangely looking forward to this. She'd been helping out for two or so weeks now and loved it. She loved helping the younger students gain confidence in their abilities, and loved encouraging that. Each meeting she walked out with a broad grin on her face.

She loved helping Kimi out most of all. Kimi seemed so hesitant and unsure about her own writing skills, and helping her realise just how good a writer she was made Hana smile. It had taken some convincing and patient prodding, but Hana could tell Kimi was starting to believe in herself more.

And it really shines through her writing, Hana thought. There had been a slight uncertainty behind Kimi's words before, as though she hadn't been sure whether she should've been writing them at all. But now, fuelled with new confidence, Kimi's writing reflected how much passion she put into the story.

"Is it good?" Kimi asked nervously, when Hana put the pages down. No matter what your age or how long you've been writing for, receiving criticism is always the most nerve-wracking part of having s story written.

But Hana soon calmed any nerves Kimi might have had when she smiled and said, "It's brilliant. Lots of people are going to enjoy reading that, I guarantee you!"

Kimi gasped. Her green eyes brightened and shone. "Thanks, Hana-senpai!" she squeaked out.

"No need for senpai. I'm a writer, just like you." Hana tapped the pages with her finger. "Get that to Hikaru as soon as you can!"

Kimi nodded. Hana grinned and left, wandering back to the front where Hikaru stood.

"You're handling this well," the brown-haired boy noted.

Hana shrugged. "It's fun. If I can't do much else for the writing club anymore, then I'm more than happy to help out. And... it's satisfying, seeing the way they gain confidence in their abilities in the end, helping them achieve their goals."

It truly was. Hana was glad she had joined two clubs after all: she'd never have had this experience otherwise. It truly had been a blessing in disguise.

"Have you decided much about your future, Hana?" Hikaru asked presently.

"Asides from the scholarship application, you mean?" Hikaru nodded. Hana pondered the thought for a while. "Well... I don't know. I'll find a place that has a writing course, definitely, but I'm starting to think that I might like teaching as well. If I can't get anywhere with my writing... helping others seems to be the way to go."

She had discovered that over these past two weeks. Become a teacher and help others out, particularly the younger ones... It brought joy to her. Perhaps she could become a literature teacher if writing didn't work out for her.

"How about you, Hikaru?" Hana inquired.

Hikaru started, and rubbed the back of his neck. His cheeks reddened in self-consciousness. "I've seriously been considering journalism," he murmured. "Writing for the newspaper or something."

"That sounds fun, and perfect for you!" Hana exclaimed. "I'm sure you'll do fine and achieve your goal!"

"You think so?"