7. Late Night

Clouded Distance

Chapter Seven

Late Night

When it had finally stopped raining, it had been too late for them to swim in the pool, even if they wanted to. They were already cold enough, the icy water ghat had drenched their clothes during their run for shelter wasn't making things any easier. Hana was a little disappointed that Rin didn't get to swim in his cherry blossom pool - but not as much as she was angry at the weather for messing up when it wasn't supposed to have rained in the first place. She could tell that Rin looked a little bit regretful too, as they call cast their gazes on the pool, now devoid of cherry blossoms.

When they got home, all Hana wanted to do was go to bed since she had been exhausted by the day's events, but she had to complete the homework she had due the next day. Fortunately, there wasn't too much, but she still had to stay up a little bit later than usual. When she finally went to bed, she was out like a light.

Hana found that, the next morning, she woke up feeling a little more sluggish and drained than usual, but quickly put it down to her exhausting swim in the public tournament. Add in the late night, and it wasn't the best combination. Fortunately, Makoto and Haru were a little more tired than usual as well, so her own tiredness, even if it was only just slight, wasn't noticeable.

Fortunately, she became more alert as the day went on, and by the time school finished she was up and ready to head to club activities. After last night's storm, the swim club was require to clean the pool out of sakura petals done again. Hana would be helping out, but not at first. First, she was going to the writing club.

Hikaru stood at the front of the group, patiently waiting for everyone to arrive. Hana guessed that she must be the last one, because once she seated herself down, Hikaru began his speech.

"Right, now that all clubs have settled down now we've got our new first-years - to whom I once again say, welcome - it's time we got down to the purpose of our club, which is obviously writing," he started.

So far, all that had been done was the reading of new member's work - Hana found her work,a lout with the work of the new first years - had been scrutinised, edited and critiqued. Even though everyone seemed to like her writing, Hana had been able to pick up a few helpful tips from the others, things she wouldn't have stopped and considered herself. She was grateful for this; the differing perspectives certainly helped her develop her writing.

"As you know, the school newspaper has a section for short stories, and a new issue is released every month," Hikaru continued. Hana redirected her attention to him. "So each month, we assign one person to write a short story to appear in the school's newspaper. The name is chosen at random. So, we pull names out of hats to decide on our writer for the month."

Hana's eyes drifted to a small, square box on the table before Hikaru, which she hadn't noticed before. Butterflies appeared in her stomach as Hikaru approached the box. If she was chosen, she'd have to write a short story for the school newspaper? What if she couldn't come up with any ideas?

What if the school hated her writing? The thought filled Hana with nerves equal to the the nerves she'd feel before starting a race.

"Okay, so this month's writer is..." Hikaru dipped his hand within the box. Hana heard the slight ruffle of the many small paper slips inside. She wondered which of those slips of paper had her name on it.

He pulled one of those papers out, and unfolded it. His eyes scanned the name before looking up, his eyes coming to rest on her. "Etsumi Hana."

"Oh." Hana blinked, surprised while the other around her applauded. "I-I'll do my best!"