XIV. The Other Boy

Throwing the door of the ice cream parlor open, (y/n) waves at the little lady behind the counter, the two of them being familiar since (y/n) had been coming there since she was younger. She spots a tuft of familiar, dirty blond hair, pacing over to the booth adjacent.

"Connor, I am so, so, so, so sorry," (y/n) cried out, placing her hands together in front of his face. She looked like a madwoman.

Connor only chuckles at her, not looking the least bit agitated. "It's okay, (y/n). You're okay. We're both here now and that's all that matters, yeah?"

"Yeah," her small voice came out. How forgiving could someone be?!

"So...I was able to get this portion of the chart filled out, but I got kinda confused on this part," he explained, rotating his laptop around so she could get a better look. (Y/n) squints slightly at the screen, feeling even more guilt when she sees how much he was able to get done.

"Oh! I can do that part. I have the annotations already completed for that section," (y/n) exclaims. She needed to make herself as useful and productive as possible.

"You can do that section while I go over the sources," Connor smiles.

Feeling more at ease from the extremely disorientated mess she was this morning, she relaxes in the booth, pulls out her annotations, and begins transferring her annotations into the designated spots.

Both of them fell into a comfortable silence, chatter here and there, checking up on each other every so often.

"So, you live around here?" Connor questioned.

Nodding, she confirmed. "Yep! Just a few blocks down. How about you?"

Connor nods his head. "I live about two or three miles away from here. I moved here from Ontario two years back. My parents came here for work, so I decided to follow them and ended up going to a university here instead of back in Ontario."

"That's so cool! I've always wanted to travel outside of (country), but never really had the time or money to," she sighed.

"We should go on an adventure together," he joked.

"I wish. That would be so fun," she laughed.

Connor shuts his laptop. "I'll be right back." Giving him a small thumbs-up, she continues working on their project. A few moments later, she hears the slight squeak of the booth as he sits down.

"Here," she heard him call out. Looking up from her computer screen, his hand is extended, holding a small cup of cookies n' cream ice cream.

Taking it from him, she beams, "Thank you!" Scooping a small amount into her mouth, she remembers, "How much was it? I'll pay you back."

Connor shakes his head in refusal. "No need. It's on me."

"I insist," she persisted.

"And I refuse," Connor refuted.

Pouting, she lets out a loud sigh, admitting defeat.

"What happened to you and the other chick?" she heard him ask.
(Y/n) furrows her brows at his question. What other girl? Widening her mouth in realization, she understood who he was referring to.

"You mean Amanda?" she confirmed.

"Yeah, the one with glasses," he nodded.

Pondering his inquiry, she tilted her head. "What do you mean?"

"Weren't you two friends?" he asked, confused.

"Yeah, we still are," (y/n) chimed.

"Oh... you are? How come you guys don't sit next to each other anymore?"