Chapter 38

Sylvie flew back to the floating castle in her dragon form, with Arthur lying on her back. For the last few days Arthur remained in the area of the Wall, but not actually there. Doing his duty he stayed to ensure there wasn't a second wave or any other high ranked beasts that could cause trouble. He didn't stay at the wall however because of his guilt. He blamed himself for Lilia, Kathyln, and especially his fathers death. The guilt was so great that he skipped his fathers funeral, and completely avoided his mother, fearing she would blame him.

There was no way for him to have known that Trodius Flamesworth was going to intentionally sacrifice all of those lives, or if he had instead come back earlier that he could have turned things around and saved at least his fathers life. Nevertheless he blamed himself for being selfish, and for what? He wasn't even able to make it to Elenoir to help. He had heard the Alacryans failed in their attack, but that Pasta Bloom had died fighting a retainer. He couldn't help but think that if only he could have made it he could have saved him, but he would always remind himself that the bloodbath at the wall could have been worse if he hadn't returned.

As he approached the castle the mounted guards remained silent, and flew into two columns then saluted as they flew in between them. The launch bay doors were opened and they flew in. As Arthur climbed off of Sylvie's back he noticed the normally busy hanger was completely empty, except for one person. There Tess stood wearing black and silver robes, with a solemn expression as she held back her own tears. She walked up to him and brought him into a loving embrace, bringing his head down to her shoulder.

"It's ok Arthur, you did everything you could," she said with a gentle and caring voice.

Arthur's control over his emotions immediately began to crumble. The tears he had held back for the last few days began escaping his eyes. He sobbed uncontrollably into Tess' shoulder as she stroked the back of his head. His legs buckled and they both slowly came to the ground. For the last few days he held in the pain as to maintain his necessary image of a Lance of Dicathen, but now in Tess' embrace that didn't matter. Right now he didn't have to be powerful or strong, he could just be human, as with her was his safe place.

"Shhh, it's ok. Let it all out, it's just us."

I'm this moment he wasn't a Lance, General, or King, he was an eighteen year old boy who was grieving the death of his father.

—————————————————————-

"We'll just get you some food and then head back  to your room to rest," Tess told him.

After a few more minutes of Arthur crying in her arms, they were on their way to his room when Tess asked if he was hungry, to which he said no. Two seconds later his stomach betrayed him and rumbled in hunger. He didn't want to go to the cafeteria, he only wanted to avoid everyone but his fiancé for the rest of the day. Tess understood this, but didn't want to enable him, and told him he needed to at least go get some food from the cafeteria and bring it back to his room. It was between lunch and dinner so she knew there wouldn't be a lot of people, so she felt it would be fine to push him a little bit.

As she expected, as they entered the cafeteria they saw only a few knights were in there eating, and they seemed so caught up in their own conversations that it was doubtful they would even notice them. They walked up to the counter and placed an order for some food. Arthur was avoiding even looking at the server, making every effort to hide his eyes, puffy and red from all of his crying. So Tess placed a very hearty order of meats and deserts, all of which she felt would be excellent comfort foods.

After placing their order they sat down at a nearby table to wait. Tess sat beside Arthur holding his hand, which he clung to tightly. Right now she was his rock, his refuge from all of the pain and guilt, and helping to keep him from breaking down again.