Dream Smashers -- Chapter 20

Dream Smashers CHAPTER TWENTY

Uncomfortable. But interesting. I still don’t get it though, not one bit. This can’t be right. It sounds too simple.

“Actually, I’m getting a bit dizzy,” I say. Girlfriend, evil mom, burdens, Jesus. All this thinking along with the whirling is giving me a headache. “Do you mind if we go home now? I’m tired.”

“Oh, of course.” He holds onto a handle to stop the merry-go-round. “I hope I didn’t scare you or anything. It’s just that I get excited when talking about our savior.”

Savior. Now my head definitely hurts. “No. I’m just tired. It’s been a long day and a lot has happened.”

He holds his hand out to help me off the ride. The strange fog has disappeared, exposing the sky above. Clouds glide across the canvass revealing the stars and then covering them again.

The drive home almost puts me to sleep. The purr of the engine calms. We pull up to my house. Evan jumps out to open my door, but I’m faster.

“So, did tonight scare you off? I mean, do you want to help again on Wednesday?” He wrings his hands together.

“Sure, I’ll help out. It wasn’t that bad until Jacinda showed up. She won’t show up again this week, will she?” Not that it matters. I don’t care about her anyway. Her stupid episode is totally ancient history—sorta.

“I don’t think that I’ve seen her there before. So, you’re probably right.” He steps forward and gives me a hug. Warm, caring, making me want to hold on to him for years. He steps back too soon, his face a little pink. No kiss. “I’m glad you came tonight.”

“Me too. Sorry about what happened and all.”

“There’s no reason for you to be sorry.” He smiles. “Well, I’ll swing by on Wednesday around three then?”

“Sounds great.” I can’t believe he didn’t kiss me. Maybe he doesn’t see me as a girlfriend after all.