Dream Smashers -- Chapter 18

DREAM SMASHERS

EIGHTEEN

This is what carefree must feel like, soaring through the air, up and up. “Higher, Evan, push me higher.” His touch is gentle, but strong on my back.

            He laughs. “If you go any higher you’ll hit an airplane.”

            Yes. Push me higher, as high as it will go. Don’t stop. I don’t need a fancy, old car. I don’t even need a list of rules. What I have right now is all I need to be carefree.

            The cold air whips through my hair, the moisture from the fog clings to my clothes, but I don’t care. “I love this. You should totally try it.” I drag my feet in the bark to slow down. “Here, you try it.”

            “How about we swing together?” He sits on the swing next to me and pumps his legs. “I bet I can get higher.”

            “That’s a bet you’ll lose.” I pump my legs as hard as I can, but he’s ahead of me. He goes forward as I go back—back and forth and back and forth.

            “Are you having fun yet?” I ask.

            He watches me as I pass him. “This was a great idea. I haven’t been on swings in a long time.”

            “Me either. Why do you think that is? It’s crazy that we ever stopped swinging. Everyone should have a swing set in their yard. It should be mandatory that everyone swings once a day.”

            Evan says, “Do you know first aid?”

            “Um, no. Why?”

            “Oh well.” He gets as high as he can go and for a split second the swing stalls. He jumps, flaying his hands above his head. I watch, mouth agape, stopped heart, as he falls to the ground in slow motion. He lands, not on his feet, but laughing and rolling around in the bark chips.

            “Are you okay?” I giggle.

            Springing from the ground, he shouts, “Yes!” and takes a bow.

            “I wanna try!” I’m scared, but I’m not. I pump my legs hard again. Up and up and up I go. Please don’t let me fall on my face. Just as I peak at the highest point, I let go and leap. The world doesn’t slow down like it did when Evan did it. It speeds up and before I know it, I’m on the ground and somehow in his arms.