Dream Smashers -- Chapter Sixteen

DREAM SMASHERS

SIXTEEN

I totally thought he’d kiss me. But he didn’t. His eyes told me that he wanted to, unless I misread him. I’ve been known to do that before. Usually I’m in-tune with others’ feelings, but on a rare occasion I’m wrong. Maybe this is one of those times. It surely would be embarrassing if he doesn’t want to and I go for it. Rejection, right now, would be too much. Jacinda gave me enough stress already tonight. Another blow could be devastating.

            “You ready?” Evan clears the frog from his voice. “Are you ready to go?”

            I nod. But, I don’t want to go home. The thought of going home right now makes me cringe. Tonight’s going to be my little secret. There’s no reason why Grams needs to know about Jacinda. It’s just another ordeal for her to worry and she doesn’t need anything else to worry about—that’s for sure. I’ll think of a way to find out more about the pastor Jacinda mentioned, my secret father that has been kept from me my entire life. Now I know a tiny bit of that secret, a pastor, a servant of the church, my father. None of these words belong together in the same sentence. Perhaps I misunderstood what Jacinda said.

            Evan starts up the engine. “Need to let the engine warm up a bit.” He reaches over to turn the knob on the radio. Ugh. I hope it’s not the country station again.

            A melody resonates from the speakers. It’s not country. I’ve never heard this song before. It almost sounds like folk music, I think, but modern.

            “What is this?” I ask.

            “Do you like it?” His face lights up again. This boy is very easy to please.

            I shrug. “Sure.”

            He turns it up. “Listen to the words. It’s a great song.”

            Ah, yeah. I should have known. A Jesus-loves-me song. “Is this a CD or a radio station?”

            “It’s the Christian radio station. Do you ever listen to it?”

            “Uh…” I half-smile. “I might have.” Like, never.

            “We sang this song in church yesterday. We have an entire band that plays great music like this every Sunday.”

            “You sing?” Is there anything he doesn’t do?

            “Yeah. Don’t you?”

            “Um… Yeah, of course. Singing’s cool.”

            “You, uh, want to go sometime?”

            “Maybe. Someday.” I totally can’t believe I just said that. I haven’t been to church since I was a kid. Grams stopped forcing me years ago when tantrums became a prerequisite for my attendance.

            “Really? I think you’d enjoy it if you did. Next week we’re going to have a guest speaker. Do you want to go then?”

            “Sure. Why not.” I shrug. “It could be fun if you’re there. Will I have to meet your parents and stuff?”

            “Unfortunately.” He laughs, then bites his lip, hard. “They’re real nice though.” He flicks the key ring hanging from the ignition. And then, as if reassuring him rather than me, he says, “You don’t need to worry.”

            “I’m sure they are. I mean, since they raised you, I’m sure they’re nice people.” This could be a good thing. Just being around Evan helps the bad disappear. Jacinda’s little episode ten minutes ago in the Share Home is almost an ancient memory. I’m not sure exactly how that could be, but I’m not going to question a good thing. Who needs drugs and alcohol when they can just have Evan? Ha. I crack myself up. Especially since I just agreed to go to church and meet his parents all in a matter of minutes. Ugh. God help me!