Chapter 13

Will gasps, sitting straight up in bed next to his sister. He breathes hard and coughs, catching his breath.

"Will, Will, breathe, it's okay," Annie sits up, rubbing his back. Mike sits up from his sleeping bag on the floor.

"What's wrong?" he asks the boy. Mike's hoodie sits over his head from sleeping. Will turns to him, still panting. The collar of his shirt around his neck is drenched with sweat.

"I saw him..." Will whispers.

"Saw who?" his sister asks.

"Hopper," he answers. Mike and Annie look at each other, concerned.

"Come on, let's get Mom," the girl gets out of bed with her twin following. Mike stands up from the floor.

"Mom?" Will calls. She sits in the middle of the floor in the living room, staring at the vines crawling up the walls. Mike and Annie stand behind Will, letting him tell her, "Mom, Mom?"

"Yeah?"

"I saw him," he tells her.

"You saw who, baby?" she asks quietly.

"Hopper," he says, "I think he's in trouble. I think he's going to die."

"You saw him... in your now-memories?" she asks. He nods, "Can you show me?"

Will and Joyce walk back to his room. He sits down at his desk again and begins to draw the vines, just like before. His hands get stained with blue, purple, and black, as he furiously draws on a page. He suddenly stops, having done one picture.

"Hey, is this where you saw him? This is where you saw Hopper?" his mom asks.

"I think so, yeah," he answers. She picks up the page and leaves the room. The three kids follow, looking for the vines that match the boy's drawing. Joyce goes to the living room, Mike to the kitchen, Will to the hallway, and Annie to her room.

"Here!" Mike calls out. Annie runs out to the kitchen. Mike points at a spot along the back wall of the kitchen.

"Okay, so... so Hopper is here?" Joyce concludes. She tapes the picture to the wall.

"Yeah. Now we just need to find out where 'here' is, right?" the Wheeler boy says.

"Right," Annie answers.

"Did he say anything? I mean, before he left?" he asks.

"Yeah. Uh, some... something about vines?" Joyce remembers. The sound of an engine approaches the house, "Hopper?"

She takes off running to the front of the house. Looking out the window, the kids see Bob's car. Not Hopper.

"Bob?" Mike questions. She leaves the house as the kids stand in front of the window, watching.

"They're sort of like... a thing," Annie fills him in. She turns to her brother, "Are you feeling okay?"

"I guess... I just feel weird," Will answers quietly from the couch.

"Weird how?" Mike asks.

"Like... like I'm not really here... I know it sounds weird, I just feel like lost... in my body..." he explains. Mike sits next to him on the couch.

"It's okay, we're gonna figure this out. But right now, when your Mom gets back we gotta figure out where Hopper is," the boy assures him. Annie looks out the window as her mother talks to Bob. A worried look stains his face.

"Guys! This is Dustin...... code red....... copy?" Dustin's garbled voice says. Annie picks up her bag and grabs her Supercomm, "This is Dustin, does anyone copy? I have a code red!"