Chapter 12

"The field!"

Dustin, Max, Lucas, and Joyce run out to the field behind the school. Mike stands with both twins, caught in trances.

"Will! Annie! I just found them like this!" he shouts to the four, "I think he's having another episode!"

"Will! Will! Annie! Wake up! It's Mom!" she shakes her twins, trying to wake them.

In the Upside Down, the creature the twins saw before is taking over Will's body. The creature is trying to enter Annie's but something doesn't work. Her body and mind are rejecting it.

"Will! Wake up! Annie! Come on!" their mother shouts, "Can you hear me?"

Annie's mind and body don't allow the creature in and as a result, she collapses to the ground.

"Annie!" the girl starts convulsing, "Call Hopper!"

Lucas and Dustin run back towards the school to get help. Joyce kneels down to her daughter, turning her on her side. She pulls out a little capsule from her purse. Max and Mike watch in horror as the girl shakes uncontrollably, her eyes rolling back into her head. Her mother takes the cap off the vial and stabs it into her thigh.

She pulls the capsule off and the girl begins to calm down.

"Will... Will, wake up," Mike tries to wake his friend up, while his mom tends to his sister, "Will, come on! Come on!"

The boy gasps, his eyes opening. Joyce rises.

"Will!" she takes the boy into her arms, "Sweetie are you okay? Are you okay?"

She sits down on the grass with her boy in her arms, still keeping an eye on Annie. The boy doesn't say anything, just staring off into space. Max looks at the unconscious brunette and starts to regret everything she said earlier.

Hopper steps out of his truck, "Joyce?"

"Hopper!" she sighs. He runs over.

"What the hell happened?"

"I don't know.. he was just.. she was... my babies..." she cries. He looks down at the mother with her terrified son and unconscious daughter. He then looks up at the other kids who unfortunately witnessed it.

"Let's... let's get you guys home," he says to Joyce. He lifts Annie up, "Why don't you guys go on home too?"

"Yes sir," Mike and Lucas answer.

"Okay," Max answers. The four begin to walk back to the bike rack. Hopper carries Annie to Joyce's car. Joyce takes the two home and she carries Annie into her bedroom.

***

"I, I can't remember."

"I need you to try."

"I... I was on the field and... and then it... it all just went blank, and... and then you were there," Will says quietly. Annie opens her eyes for a moment, wondering how she ended up at home. The last thing she remembers is being at school.

"Will, I need you to tell me the truth," his mother says to him. Annie looks around, not seeing her mom and brother with her. She's lying on the couch, covered up with a blanket and a cold cloth lies on her forehead.

"I am," he insists.

"This shape, I saw it on the videotape from Halloween night," she explains, "it's the same shape as... as your drawing. These episodes that you're having, I think Dr. Owens is wrong. I think they're real."

Annie sits up, taking the cloth off her forehead. She turns and sees them sitting at the kitchen table.

"But... but I can't help you if I don't know what's going on," she explains to him, "so, you have to talk to me. Please. No more secrets, okay? Did... did you see this thing again on the field?"