Twenty-six | Yearning

Start from the beginning

Liam relaxed and followed along back to the Packhouse.

It was going to be a long night.

...

Gideon stood over Visena's sleeping form for a moment before sliding in next to her. She was so impossibly perfect to him. He trailed his fingers across hers, and she sighed in her sleep, snuggling closer. Then, wrapping her in his embrace, Gideon held her until the first robins began to sing.

"Visena?" Gideon bit his lip at her drowsy expression. 

Her eyes were half-lidded, but her morning smile was radiant. "Are you okay? Why are you waking me up so early?" 

The rasp in her voice made Gideon swallow deeply and discreetly adjust his pants. He rolled them both so she was atop his chest and grumbled. "I have... news."

Visena searched his face now, wide awake. "What's wrong?"

The tick in Gideon's jaw was twitching double speed as anxiety rolled off him and into his mate. "Gideon, tell me."

"The Wolf Council is coming to take you away. We don't know their plans, but I bet it has something to do with Zeir."

Visena swallowed, worrying her bottom lip. She didn't dare speak, knowing there had to be more. There always was when it came to bad news.

"They've threatened the pack if you don't go with them, and they don't know about us..."

Visena was acutely aware of the internal battle in Gideon's heart. However, his Alpha responsibilities and duty as a mate completely bound him.

"I'll go." There was no doubt in her mind that she would do anything to protect the pack and Gideon.

"That's what I was afraid of."

"Gideon, I know you'll do everything to fix this, and I'll do everything to make it back to you. I'll be okay." They held each other close, for the last time, before leaving the Packhouse.

...

Svend and Yrsa were waiting outside. Gideon was surprised to see the Wolf Council leaders doing their dirty work for once.

"Alpha Gideon."

"Aldermans.'" 

Visena watched the tense interactions before stepping forward with a deep breath. "What do you want?" Her voice was firm and unwavering despite her inner turmoil.

"Ah, Visena, is it?" The woman, Yrsa, did not wait for a reply. "We have been made aware of your existence here at Invictus, and it made us feel very... Uncomfortable. You are in every sense of the word, an abomination, and the lives of every wolf in this pack are in danger due to your presence."

Gideon bristled at her side. Despite sending a soothing look to her mate, he only appeared more livid. At least they were honest, she thought wryly, before commenting aloud, "In danger because of me, or you?" 

Visena wasn't going to make this easy. Many of the pack watched from their windows or hovered on their porches. There were many witnesses for whatever was about to take place.

Svend cleared his throat and looked pointedly at the Fae. "That's a bold remark, child. And also not what we are here to discuss. You are Fae, correct?" He let her nod before continuing. "Yet members of the Malum pack described seeing you shift into a large silver wolf."

"Yes." Visena stood proud. "Why do you assume I'm dangerous to Invictus? They took me in and protected me from the Malum Alpha." She watched their faces closely when mentioning Zeir, but they showed no expression beyond a twitch in Yrsa's right eye. 

Svend tactfully skated straight past the insinuations. "The unknown is what we consider dangerous. You will come with us so that we may shed some light on this new phenomenon. The car is waiting at your borders." The last statement was directed at Gideon.

Visena refrained from rolling her eyes before speaking. "Can I at least say goodbye?"

Yrsa clearly wanted to say no, but her companion spoke first. "Make it quick."

As Visena turned, she was wrapped in a warm embrace. So many arms enclosed her, and she could hardly breathe. She could make out Prim's sniffles and Eve's tattoos but was surprised to see Jed and Liam in the group hug. Gideon stood off to the side with a masked expression. Visena knew he must have been hurting, but he wouldn't show any evidence of their matebond to the Council leaders. If he did that, the pack could be more vulnerable.

"Okay, guys, let go now." Visena wheezed. Their grips loosened, and she smiled at her teary friends.

Her family.

Speaking of family, "Have you seen my-" A loud throat-clearing cut her off mid-sentence. When her gaze found the source, she was taken aback. The woman looked like the pack healer, Kora, and walked like her, but she was not. The swirling rainbow orbs peering down at her was Visena's only clue. She didn't have time to question the use of a glamour as her mother kissed her cheek. 

Esmerelda lingered a moment and whispered in her ear, "Don't trust anyone and don't let Zeir mark you. I love you." When she pulled back, the wolves around them looked confused. 

Visena heard Prim whisper, "did you hear anything?" to Orion, who simply shrugged.

Esmerelda must have cloaked her voice. I wish I could do that. Visena was so enamoured with Fae magic, but she was about as good as a small child at controlling it. 

Gideon took Kora, or rather, Esmerelda's place, and squinted at the Fae. "Go." His ability to sound so cold towards her was shocking. It hurt even though he was pretending.

"Will you escort us to the border, at least?"

Gideon's nod was clipped as he walked towards the Alderman's with Visena matching his stride beside him. Their hands never touched, but the air between them was electric.

Aching and yearning for contact. 

~~~

A/N

Distance makes the heart grow fonder, right? 

I feel like this chapter is all over the place, but hopefully, you still like it!

I didn't want to drag it out over too many chapters, so there are a few scene cuts and time skips which I don't normally do often.

Thanks for reading, commenting and voting <3

Until next time xxx